Sunday, July 14, 2013

Cheap, filling, and...surprisingly tasty.

Cornmeal mush, that is. 

For two people*:

2 c water
1/2 c cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt
pinch baking soda

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan, bring to boil, stirring constantly.  Keep stirring until it reaches the consistency you like (mine was about half again as thick as cornbread batter).  Serve in a bowl with cream and maple syrup.  Sort of like Cream O' Wheat, but with cornmeal instead. 

I suspect it would also be very, very good with orange marmalade. 

My mother told me to take the leftovers and put them in a bread pan in the fridge, then slice and fry them the next day...guess what I'll be trying tomorrow.  Even though there was barely enough leftovers to fill one muffin cup.  Oh, well.  If I like it, I might well start making a bigger batch so that I can do fried cornmeal mush.

*Could easily be scaled up or down as needed.

3 comments:

  1. Try it with sharp cheddar cheese. I love polenta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna have to get some sharp cheddar, then. All I've got is mild, because the other half doesn't like sharp...or better yet, extra sharp.

      I wonder what it would be like with feta? Hmm...

      Delete
  2. I make pasta sauce with beef and pork and put that on polenta. Mighty yummy and no end to what you can do to dress it up.

    Winston

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.