Monday, October 15, 2012

Good for the kids.

A couple of high school students set up a sting on an employee they were getting "creepy" vibes from, by setting up a fake Facebook page for a sixteen year old girl that was just too irresistible for Mr. Creepy to ask out.  He says that he didn't know "she" was sixteen; the teenagers said they made that clear  before he ever started making passes. 


No, the case hasn't been proved against the individual named in the story, but if the kids weren't getting a bad feel off the guy, they probably wouldn't have gone through the trouble to set up confirmation of what they suspected.

Some parents are horrified (and living in a dream world where their kids are always safe everywhere): “That’s disgusting,” parent Missy Vaughn said, according to CBS 2. “How could I send my child to school thinking that my child was safe? They should have told someone. If anything, they should have told the principal, somebody.” 

Okay, Ms. Vaughn, let's take this statement by statement.  First: public schools aren't safe.  Either the school will have a lot of violence (or bullying--the two, while not mutually exclusive, are not the same), or there will be at least one pervert working somewhere in the district where he or she will at least have access to what they consider wank material, and we consider our beloved children.  It's why I won't be sending my children to public school, and why my kids aren't going to be dressed like streetwalkers when they go out anywhere. 

Second...sadly, who's to say they didn't try telling someone?  Most adults, when a child or teen says that someone's creepy, will brush the kid off.  "Oh, you're just imagining things.  That can't happen here."  Or else, the principal is also a pervert, just more closeted about it, and won't take any action.  Or perhaps it's simply that the principal just didn't want to bother with the paperwork of firing the employee, and hiring someone new--until he or she was pushed to it by proof that the local PD considered investigation-worthy evidence. 

Yes, a lot of people go into education because they genuinely like children, but there are also a lot of people that go into education because they're freaking perverts.  And even more than that go into education because it's freaking easy to get into, and even easier to coast and do nothing while on the job.

4 comments:

  1. Good for the kids.

    I remember I used to get a "creepy" vibe off a certain science teacher...to the point where I would avoid offered "enrichment" stuff if he were the one teaching it. I can't remember if I ever told anyone about how hinky I felt.

    Fast forward some eight or ten years. I come home for Thanksgiving, to find out that the guy has been sent to prison for having sex with a 14 year old. (it was the 12, 13, and 14 age groups he was teaching). Made me even more creeped out but made me glad I listened to my gut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My male genetic donor was a volunteer tee-ball coach, and sixth grade basketball coach. He wasn't real choosy about his preferred ages or sexes. It's why I'm nearly instantly suspicious of volunteers that work with children.

      Delete
  2. Ya know Ms. H, I'm going to hold judgment on this one. In listening to my daughter and her stories about her school filled with brand new little assholes - it may well be a scam used to target someone they simply didn't like.

    Way too many kids in our high schools today view themselves as simply above everything - including the adults in the building. Honestly, most of her stories about the kids make me want to vomit and then beat the shit outta them.

    Were I this guy, and truly innocent, I'd sue the crap out of the school and then the families of the kids . . . drain them of every single dime they have.

    I agree there are perverts in our school systems, but that distinction is not reserved just for the teachers and staff . . . not by a long shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not disagreeing with you, here, Bill. I will freely admit that the kids could have been picking on someone they didn't like. I will also reiterate that my own personal experiences with perverts working the system has shaped my perceptions and suspicions of the news story.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.