Saturday, October 6, 2012

Four years

No, not of Obama.

Four years ago today, at 5:56 a.m., my son was born. 

His first five weeks weren't easy--he was born eight weeks early, and spent his first five weeks in the NICU.  The first day was very hard for me: I didn't see him for almost four hours, and didn't get to hold him at all.  Not until the Saturday after the Monday he was born. 

He was so tiny, too.  He was seventeen and a half inches long at birth, and three pounds thirteen ounces.  But good Lord did he have a working set of lungs!  I could hear him through the locked NICU door while waiting to be let in when he was upset--while he was in a room at the other end of the unit, in a closed incubator!

Today, he's about forty-four inches tall, and thirty-two and a half pounds.  He's a real smartass, and has a terrific, wacky sense of humor ("Mama have blue eyes, I have green eyes!" *grins*  It's actually the opposite).  He runs, plays, has no signs of asthma or hearing impairment (other than typical small child selective hearing), and his speech issues are resolving themselves really quickly. 

I can't believe it's already been four years.  Nor can I believe it's only been four years.  I can't imagine life without him.

If anyone wants to see more pictures, check out the baby pics label over on the right.

7 comments:

  1. Cute kid.

    Four years old. Man, I vaguely remember what having young children was like.

    Last Tuesday I watched NCIS while eating dinner, with no pants on.

    Like a Boss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After about 8:30, most nights, anything goes as long as it's quiet enough to not wake the kids.

      And the imp tends to sit around watching TV and eating, also with no pants on. (One time, his little Y-fronts gaped open and let him fall out, and he goes "Oh! Help! Penis look at [Imp]! Mama fix it!") So, I guess you're watching NCIS like a toddler. Hopefully the comparison isn't complete.

      Kids are fun. And unpredictable in everything except being able to drive a parent absolutely batshit one moment, then melt them into their socks with a well-timed "I love you" the next.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday you your little one - congrats! I have GP duties today with Ms. A - 6yrs, Ms. E - 4yrs and Ms. L - 6mo. Gotta be nuts!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys, for the birthday wishes. I'll pass 'em on when he wakes up tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Birthday blessings; and good wishes for all the family. Will the first gift be a .22? Or a combat knife? A set of Obama flushable paper posters to improve potty am?
    Sorry - I am so wasted right now - just got in from hospital and found one or two dogs ha manged to get to their meds so have been online with vets, cleaning up vomit, praying that they will be OK - and when U got home did not want another cardiac event so took al my meds and one of them makes me almost nod out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning on getting him a set of BB guns for his sixth birthday, and teaching him gun safety with those, then a .22 of his own around eight or ten (until then, he can use mine).

      Take care of yourself, and my prayers are with you and your pets.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.