Monday, October 15, 2012

Another gas station accepting EBT

As we were driving home this afternoon after purchasing my husband a new pair of work shoes, we drove past another gas station that had up on its movable type billboard, right under the gas prices, "Now Accepting EBT."  I glanced at the front door as we pulled past it, and sure enough, there was a sticker advertising that SNAP benefits were accepted there.

I don't get it.  When my family was on food stamps, the only place that accepted food stamps was the grocery store.  You know, where groceries were sold.  Not candy.  Not beer.  Not instant crap, or pre-cooked, overpriced convenience stuff.  Groceries.  Flour.  Sugar.  Butter.  Eggs.  Milk.  Meat.  Dry pasta.  Canned veggies.  You know, stuff you cook with. 

The federal government needs to revisit what can and cannot be bought with money they take from me to give to those who might need it, but who certainly don't need it more than I do for my kids' sake, and where that money can be spent.  I distinctly, and deeply, resent that SNAP benefits can be spent at your local gas station, and at some restaurants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.