Friday, April 3, 2015

Fucking maintenence twats.

The head of maintenance (read: chief janitor) of the library has decided that he hates my chalkboard, and will replace it with a whiteboard. 

Never mind that I never make a mess with it, and I tend to clean up messes as I find them left by the other twits using my classroom.  Never mind that I bring my own chalk.  Never mind that whiteboards glare under any lighting, always over the text  Never mind that the fucking whiteboards are never readable.  Never mind that the markers never work (and chalk always does).  My chalkboard will be replaced by someone who doesn't do their job anyway to excuse the fact that I am the one that does their job in my classroom. 

At the point where I no longer care one way or the other, I may bring in a fucking Sharpie to write notes on their wonderful whiteboard. 

2 comments:

  1. Can you - or anyone else using the room - protest sensitivity to the solvents in pens? A couple of us did that here (the non-low-odor pens really do make me feel sick to my stomach) and they grudgingly gave us chalkboards as well.


    GRAY chalkboards. For which we have to buy pink sidewalk chalk so that the students can read anything written on them.

    I hate whiteboards though and unless a person keeps a stash of pens in their office and carries them back and forth to the room, it's a Tragedy of the Commons thing - you come in to teach and find about eighty pens that are either dried up because someone couldn't put the lid back on securely or that have the tip mashed in from someone pressing too hard when they just HAD to show stomata on a leaf or something with a series of little dots....

    And sometimes the only working pen is a 'high odor" one and there I am, trying to explain a paired-sample t-test and simultaneously not hurl.....


    The Sharpie idea might work, though we've found when someone derps and uses a Sharpie alcohol will take care of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our maintenance twats are not that bright. *I* know how to get Sharpie off, but *they* don't. But my prosthetic conscience won't let me do that.

      I left a note yesterday, asking exactly how the whiteboard, with the way erasing as completely as I could left shadows to the point where my second class couldn't read what I put up, was better than the chalkboard. I'm going to leave notes every day asking for my chalkboard back.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.