Friday, October 4, 2013

New toy

No, I didn't get a gun.  I got something else I've been wanting for a while. 

Back in June, before I got our bedroom cleaned out and mostly decluttered, our neighbor had a sewing machine in her yard sale.  One with a sewing cabinet.  A Singer, an older model like what we used in Home Economics in high school. 

I wanted it.  I had no place to put it. 

So, I didn't get it.  But it didn't sell. 

Since then, I have decluttered the bedroom to the point where I could probably put a students' desk back there for writing.  Even with an extra bookcase brought into the equation.  It's actually a really good feeling to have accomplished that much.  

The neighbor is having another yard sale this weekend.  Guess what was out there?  Yep.  That sewing machine.  She cut the price on it from $50 to $25. 

I have a place for it, now.  So, Andrew and I went to go get it. 

It's a 1968 Singer model 636.  In a desk-sized sewing cabinet, with all of the original accessories, accessories box, and in working order. 

It's going in the bedroom, and can double as a desk, once I get a chair for it.

My next project will be to make some flannel nightgowns for the pixie.  She has one.  And has almost outgrown it.  And I can't find any that aren't branded, expensive, lightweight, and did I mention too expensive to buy for a little girl who's likely to outgrow it long before she wears it out?

4 comments:

  1. Cool. I've always wanted to learn how to sew. Never taken the time. Check thrift stores for baby and kid clothes. The Queen gets most of M&M's stuff that way. A lot of it still with store tags on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nearest thrift store that carries kids' clothes for more than the first ten minutes after they've been set out is about an hour away from here...and we do go there. Problem is that they carry a lot of cute clothes, a few PJ sets, and no nightgowns. And the pixie loves her nightgowns.

      Delete
  2. One of these days I need to re-learn how to use a sewing machine. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Needs some maintenance, but I'm looking forward to re-learning how to use it.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.