Monday, September 17, 2012

Training on not being an asshole

So...I have to sit through an hour-long webinar on Wednesday, on collegiality.  I have a diversity one coming up soon, and the sexual harassment one isn't a webinar this semester, so I can't (won't) attend--taking care of my kids and making sure the new puppy doesn't crap on the carpet is far more important than learning how to piss people off by insulting whatever they've got in their pants.  The other seminar, the one that might actually be useful (about privacy laws and regulations) is also on campus.  And it's still not important enough to leave my kids for. 

I think it's insulting that every employee, on or off campus, is required to attend these.  I guess the administration are a bunch of racist, sexually harassing assholes that don't know how to keep their pie-holes shut about students' private, personal information, who indulge in the fantasy that nobody can possibly be a better, more responsible person than they are. 

Hmm...is telling the admin pukes that can't seem to let teachers be about the business of teaching to go fuck themselves sexual harassment, or anti-collegiality?

5 comments:

  1. Weeeeellll...about 10 years ago on my campus, a guy was "promoted out of" the classroom (to an admin) to stop him from harassing the female students.

    So you could have something there on the attitudes of the admin.

    though I'd be more likely to blame this kind of crap on some government mandate. The Spending Tax Dollars and Wasting Professorial Time Act, or some such.

    I'm not saying there aren't creeps in the classroom, it's just, 99% of us AREN'T creeps, and it's better to deal with the creeps directly than to subject the decent people to this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I am tired of being assumed to have the worst possible motives and behaviors because one person in a hundred (or more) of my colleagues does.

      Besides. I'm not the racist one for insisting that my students write in Standard English. My colleagues that don't insist on the same standards for all students are the racists.

      Delete
  2. What do you do with that 1% who might be another Holmes?

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.