Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Surprisingly good quality.

I ordered several paperback of The Godshead for placement in local bookstores when I published it, and found (to my great surprise) that CreateSpace print on demand publishing does excellent work.  That impression was (mostly) reinforced yesterday. 

I ordered four copies each of Survivors and The Last Pendragon a couple of weeks ago.  Like Godshead, Survivors and Pendragon had a cover of glossy-printed heavy cardstock wrapped around nice, crisp white, satisfyingly thick paper pages.  No tissue thin pages where the print rubs off on your fingertips, here.   

Survivors is a slightly smaller book, measuring at about 5"x8", and the printers weren't really careful in the shipping--the books I'd ordered previously were shrinkwrapped together in stacks, packed into boxes, then shipped.  Survivors and Pendragon weren't shrinkwrapped, nor were they packed into a box--rather, they were wrapped in cardboard, like Amazon does sometimes when you order something relatively small.  And the end Survivors was in...came open a bit.  No, I didn't lose any books, but the ends of the spines were scrunched.  Other than that, though, they're as high a quality of books as you'd expect to find in any book store, and higher quality than some mass-printed books.

Pendragon came through with flying colors.  No scrunching, no damage. 

Honestly, if I were shopping at a bookstore, and happened to pick up these books, I'd check the price after looking to see if it were something I wanted to read, then run cackling to the checkout, convinced I was getting a steal, judging by the quality. 

Overall, CreateSpace print on demand books rock the quality.

3 comments:

  1. How does someone purchase a copy of Pendragon that's signed by the author?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The author needs to set up a PayPal account and figure out what shipping would cost (I'll email you when I have). Then, you'll need to shoot the author an email that you want one (and with your address), drop 7.99 plus shipping in the PayPal account, and the author will sign one and ship it.

      Delete
  2. Alternatively, you purchase one and email me with your address, and I send you a signed bookplate. Probably cheaper and easier that way--and I would have thought of that first, if I weren't fighting with a migraine.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.