Monday, May 27, 2013

Sometimes I despair.

I will occasionally make a reference to something I was sure was common knowledge, only to find out that nobody knows what I'm talking about.  I mean, I expect that with my family--they only follow local news and weather, and read nothing but the bible.  They don't attempt to expand their knowledge, or to see more of the world than their own little corner.

For instance, I have an acquaintance with a little girl who shows symptoms of having been born with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.  Hell, the kid's a poster child for it.  And this acquaintance doesn't realize that.  She doesn't see in her own daughter's face that she drank too much, and worse, binge drank too much. 

No, I probably will never point it out to her.  Her daughter is bright enough to do well in the current educational culture, and won't stand out in the current culture of inability to delay gratification and restrain impulses.

Personally, all I can, and will, do is make sure my own children develop a healthy sense of curiosity, and that their reaction to hearing of something new is to do research to learn about it.

In twelve years, I want my son saying, "But Mom, I was sure that my college teachers would know about that!  It's common knowledge...isn't it?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.