Saturday, April 6, 2013

Random ramblings

The kids spent two hours outside yesterday afternoon.  Which meant that I spent two hours outside yesterday afternoon, and got absolutely nothing done except washing the dog's bedding--and discovering that the washer has sprung a leak.  And it's not in the hoses.  I checked.

I also found out yesterday that the neighbor doesn't like the dog.  Complains about her barking incessantly--which she doesn't, just when kids use our driveway as a pass through between the alley and our street.  And considering that her bedroom is at the street end of her house on the other side from our yard...yeah.  I'm thinking she's just miserable because her husband passed a few months ago, and is trying to spread it around. 

I hate to say it, but it's not gonna work.  The dog is the kids' dog, and she's not going anywhere.  And I don't care enough about the neighbor to have had more than a "Huh.  Sucks to be you," moment.

The imp has a knitted cord I made a year or so ago as a cat toy, cat fishing.  I'm not sure who's enjoying it more, him or the cats. 

I still have a metric shit ton of grading.  And I've got half a dozen questions about the presentation that I don't know how to answer other than "do your best to figure it out on your own because I don't know, and I don't give half a tinker's damn."

Still working on Pendragon.  I've got about twenty pages left to edit and add more material to.  I can't say how much longer it's going to be, except for being certain that it won't be published this month. 

Hey, at least that gives me a bit longer to find some good cover art.  Because I don't think my friend who did Survivors and The Godshead can do something that will work for that world.

8 comments:

  1. What did you have in mind for cover art? I can ask around, I have a friend who is a pretty good artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm honestly not sure. I've been looking through public domain work, and I've got one that seems like it might work (photo of a ruined castle wall), but it just doesn't seem *right*, you know?

      Delete
  2. How about character references? Merlin, in full Sorcerer getup, next to a 3osomething woman in hiking gear in a cave in front of a bookshelf full of tomes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except...Merlin's a professor at a university, teaching Medieval literature. But the idea of the cave apartment with the fireplace and chairs, and the work table off to one side has possibilities.

      Delete
    2. Creative license? Your audience would recognize Merlin in full sorcerer getup, rather than a Dr. Merlin. Combined with the Pendragon title, it may be the cover art you need to sell the book.

      Delete
  3. Not that I'm drawing this myself or have anything invested in the idea, I just know what I would gravitate to as a customer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm...how 'bout a broken crown on the background of a crumpled standard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooo. That could work... A dragon gules rampant on a field argent IIRC

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.