Sunday, July 1, 2012

This I know.

We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is, seen and unseen. 

 
We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one Being with the Father.
Through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven:
by the power of the Holy Spirit
he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary,
and was made man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered death and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end. 


We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son.
With the Father and the Son he is worshiped and glorified.
He has spoken through the Prophets.
We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. Amen. 


It's as good an articulation as any other of the Christian faith.  It happens to be the one used every service by the Episcopal church.  


Sad to say I don't believe the tenets.  I don't have that kind of faith.


I know it's true.  I know it to the very depths of my damaged soul.  It's a totally different thing than faith.  


Where does that leave me, in the greater scheme of things, I wonder?

13 comments:

  1. I think it falls into the "what are you pretending not to know" category for you. I don't believe it's possible for you, in your heart to KNOW the truth of the words without believing the foundational tenants of the creed itself.

    I have heard this creed since I was a child in the Lutheran Church. Now, as a Catholic for the past 40 years I, too, hear it each Sunday. Regardless of faith, it's the most pure summary of the Christian faith I know. Still - I suspect we see so very little of the whole picture. The "why" of it all is where I have most my questions - why the heck even bother with us at all?

    I've spent the past 3 years taking a program through the church to determine where my place is - it was called "Lay Formation" and it’s a tool to develop the laity more completely. At the end, my final personal charism was "faith". I find myself asking the exact same question as you: Where does that leave me?

    I suspect that its part of the journey Ms. H. Part of the overall surrender to something bigger. All I know is that when they "close the box" I've got a lot of questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry--I guess that didn't come through clear. What I meant was that I don't believe so much as I know that it's all true.

      I was always taught that faith = belief, not knowledge.

      Delete
    2. Right there with you! That's why they call it a "faith".

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started to violate my #1 rule which is: Mind your own business. sorry, the rat

      Delete
    2. Meh, everybody's got their own opinions. It's above my pay grade to pass judgement on this, even if I were so inclined.

      Delete
  3. HH, If faith isn't knowledge, explain Aquinas. And the Apostles. Your faith is based on your knowledge.

    Where does it leave you? It leaves you in the arms of the Good Shepherd. It leaves with the knowledge of Truth, and the God given ability to live according to it. God has touched your damaged soul in the same way He touched Mary Magdalen's, with her 7 demons, and in the same way He came to Mary of Nazareth, who KNEW that Jesus was the Son of God, and still expressed Faith in Him at the wedding at Cana. You know He is real, now walk in faith based on that knowledge, because even Thomas and Peter had their moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I never doubt Him. I doubt me.

      Delete
    2. That's ok. So did Peter, walking to Jesus on the water. Jesus was still there to save him. Jesus knows that the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. It's why He instituted the Sacrament of Confession, so we can return to His Way. I know many High Church Episcopals have maintained the Tradition. Ultimately the Priest who forgives you is Jesus Himself. Do yourself a Favor, if you are so inclined, and look up the Diary of St. Faustina, a Polish Nun who had visions of Jesus(there's that, "I know it's true," thing again; you're in good company)and see if the Divine Mercy devotion attracts you. Fair Warning: It's Catholic, some may object on that basis alone.

      Delete
  4. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Phillipians 2: 5-11 ESVUK

    We're supposed to follow Christ, imitate His example, but ultimately, the work is His. He reaches down to us, His beloved bride, and lifts us up. We do the best we can, trusting in Him. His will be the Glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's where I fail. I don't have an ounce of "submit" in me. Not like that.

      I suppose if I did, I wouldn't have survived my childhood as relatively intact as I am, so I can't see how that's a bad thing.

      Delete
  5. You know, God knows what you went through and the damage it caused better than you do. I'm inclined to think He'd work with what He has in you. Than being said, if our reach does not exceed our grasp, then what is Heaven for?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have strong faith in the life around me...

    MY FAITH doesn't have a damn thing to do with religion.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.