Sunday, March 11, 2012

Random musings

It's raining, here.  Peaceful, dim, and cool without being cold.  A rain that whispers that spring is coming, if not here already.  I love it after a good, spring rain.  The way it turns the earth so dark, and makes the air smell so good.  It's like the colors are a little more vivid--then again, it could be because I grew up on a dirt road, and a rain washed the dirt road dust thrown up by people driving way too fast off of everything.

Why is it that, when you get a little one put back down after a morning feeding, they go back to sleep for an hour or less?

The pixie is starting to really talk.  Her vocabulary has exploded like you wouldn't believe.  Her big brother, the imp, is really starting to put ideas together and talk to people.  He answers questions, and asks them, carrying on a pidgin conversation.  I can't express how relieved I am.  His frustration level is far less than it was this time last year.

Odysseus and I agreed to take $200 each of our tax refund and spend it as we pleased without having to account to the other one for large purchases.  I made two large purchases: a new coffee pot, and a tablet PC.   I ran out of the last of the bag of ground coffee this morning.  Tonight will see me setting up the coffee pot with whole beans--makes me look forward to coffee tomorrow morning. 

The tablet should arrive sometime between next Wednesday and a week from Monday.  I plan to look for game apps suitable for toddlers--like matching, alphabet identification, and other things like that.

I'm getting really tired of the imp watching the pixie until she picks something up, hyperventilating, and running over to knock her down and take whatever she just picked up. 

I turned 33 this morning, while I was feeding the pixie.  It doesn't feel much different from 32--I'd say it didn't feel much different from 25, but I didn't have kids, then, and wasn't nearly as chronically short on sleep. 

I need some range time.  I wish I could find a good, trust-worthy babysitter so Odysseus and I could go shooting together.  I miss that.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. I told the imp this morning that it was Mommy's birthday, and could he please be good for Mommy today, and he looked up at me and said, "birday...cake? Cake?" So, he's already made that connection.

      Sadly for him, there was no cake. I am a good cook where meats and casseroles and pastas are concerned, and I make pretty good cookies. But that's about my limit. I don't do cake well, even from a mix. And I don't do frosting at all.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday!!! I love how you chat about your critters - always filled with excitement, love, caring - the signs of a truly loving parent. They are very lucky children. Mrs. Bill and I are anxiously awaiting the arrival of Lucinda Rachel on April 9th. She will be our daughter's #3. Both mother and daughter are ready for the meeting! :)

    I am confident you will find some range time in the near future - Spring is very close, summer with its long, warm days! You'll find your tiime, I am sure of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love my imp and pixie. They do drive me to distraction, sometimes, though. Congrats on the impending arrival of a third grandbaby--from what I can tell, it's even more fun being a grandparent, because you guys don't have to lay down the law: you can love on 'em, spoil 'em a bit, send 'em home, and collapse to rest and sleep.

      If nothing else, I have a friend who usually invites us to their annual fourth of July party, and they live on the other side of my mom's from here. And this year, the pixie doesn't depend totally on me for food!!!

      Delete
    2. Holy crap!

      Another Pisces on the loose!!

      Welcome (And happy birthday!)---my birthday is Wednesday!!

      (The range needs a nursery for little ones!)

      Delete
    3. Happy early birthday to you, too--Odysseus had a birthday two weeks ago, right at the start of Pisces.

      (Ranges are almost always designed for men, with men in mind--and our range is free, public, outdoors, and pretty minimal. If it weren't minimal, it wouldn't be free.)

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.