Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Getting frustrated

I spent the bloody morning grading three papers.  And one of them was an A quality first draft, so I've spent the morning actually reading and grading two papers that are so bad that I can't figure out where to start telling them to fix the paper. 

This bodes ill for getting all 17 (found two turned in to the wrong email address) graded before my 72 hour deadline is up.

I didn't think the paper was all that hard.  Or that this semester's incoming freshmen were that ill-prepared to read and follow instructions.

And it really doesn't help that today's a beautiful day, and I'd rather be outside playing with the kids.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, the following-directions thing. Drives me batty. I'm beginning to think we should replace ACT or SAT score requirements with some kind of test that tests a person's ability to follow simple written and/or spoken instructions.

    I've had to swoop down a few times in lab on people doing something unauthorized and dangerous that I had told them expressly NOT to do. It's like they don't listen, or like they only hear half the words you say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's especially frustrating when several do very well with the instructions given, highlighting just how badly the rest ignored them.

      Delete
    2. Sure says a lot for our pre-college educational system......

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.