Monday, March 12, 2012

I can't believe I'm saying this...

Hillary's right, in a way, that extremists want to control women's lives and health choices.  What she's wrong about is which side the extremists lay* stand on.  It's not the right--not even the religious right.  It's the left.

I can't even remember how many of my colleagues (all leftist females) have either spoken of the Duggar family in tones of mocking horror or disgust.  If you have more than bare minimum replacement for yourself (and maybe your husband, if you're feeling generous), they mock and make fun of you, or they treat you with contemptuous pity.  A student I had once (seven children of her own, with two step children) said that when she got pregnant with her last one, she was constantly told "You know, they know what causes that, now," almost like they were speaking of a disease, rather than a miracle.

(I loved her response: "Yeah, I know.  And, obviously, I like it!")

The left wants to limit our freedom to have families as big as we want to have (unless, of course, you're on welfare and food stamps, and vote Democrat). 

We are supposed to bow with humble, forelock-tugging gratitude, beneath their demands that birth control be covered by all health insurance.  We're supposed to be profoundly grateful for the option to brutally murder unborn children (and look the other way when they refuse counseling before rushing our daughters off for abortions behind our backs as parents).  We are supposed to immediately apply for government aid to buy food once we become parents (WIC), and supposed to believe that we're entitled to it because we had a child.**

We are supposed to not notice that the majority of abortions are perpetrated on black women, and that these women are not told that they can offer their unborn child a better life by placing them for adoption.  We are not supposed to notice, or care, that the majority of pro-abortion advocates are young, single men who don't want any responsibility for where the seed they spray like a firehose lands.

We're not supposed to notice that, once contraceptives become mandatory for insurance companies to pay for (on the taxpayer dime, of course), they'd likely start pushing to make it mandatory for prescription after giving birth.  (Despite the fact that some of us breastfeed, and cannot use hormonal contraceptives, and despite the fact that some of us would like to have a large family, with the kids close together--or maybe because of it.)

And, once we've navigated all of that horror of pregnancy and childbirth, we're supposed to be happy to hand our spawn off to go back into the work world.  "I am woman; hear me roar,"*** and all that.  And, if a mother prefers not to go back out of the home to work because suddenly, she realizes that she has a far more important job than the one she left when she gave birth, she's vilified as betraying the sisterhood, setting women's issues back a hundred years, knuckling under to the patriarchy, or similar twaddle.  And that's just if she's not derided as an overbearing, overprotective, micromanaging tyrant in the making.  Or else, a lazy bitch that just wants to watch soaps on the couch.  Or both at once.

I am no exception.  I have not stopped earning my paycheck, but I gave up my classroom because I truly believe that my children are far more important than what I prefer.  And believe me, I've heard about it from my female colleagues:  "When are you going to come back to work?  You're teaching online?  Well, that's not really working--when will you be back in front of a classroom?"

I am sick to death of the feminazis telling me that I have the right to choose how I live my life--until I choose something other than what they think I should have.

No, it isn't the religious right trying to control my life and my reproductive/health choices.  It's the sacrilegious left.




*I changed my mind--most of the extremist feminists are kind of like the Carrie Nation prohibitionists in the top photo here: most unlikely to actually need contraceptives, because they're not being laid.


**Again, I had people pressuring me to apply for WIC when I got pregnant with the imp.  Hell, I had people pressuring me to apply for food stamps because I wasn't getting paid a lot working part time.


***More like "I am woman; hear me whine."

2 comments:

  1. ....again I have to say, NOBODY MINDS MY BUSINESS BUT ME.

    The US of A has had a long standing propensity to protect our children, which is many cases is warranted--but like all things government they tend to over do it a bit!

    Perhaps they over do it so that the government has a pool of young people to send to WAR!

    As an aside.....After all this time that I have know you, I have never expressed my liking of teaching
    ON LINE!

    It's as close as a teacher can get with a direct teacher/student relationship.

    From an educational expense factor, ON LINE TEACHING is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the moral support, OCM. It means a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.