Sunday, March 18, 2012

Another argument against drugging children into somnolence

Apparently, those children who are easily distracted have minds and memories that work on a higher level than their peers, according to recent studies.

So, instead of drugging them into shambling sleepwalkers, how 'bout we admit that some children need harder, faster curricula than their peers?  How about we give them that challenge, and see if we can take all (or most) of the ADD/ADHD diagnoses and turn them into the next Tolkien or Bronte or Milton.  Or possibly Tesla or Einsteins or Smith .

Hell, I'd be thrilled with another Sowell, Williams, Hanson, or Regan.

But no--that would be suggesting that some children are sub-par, and/or that some parents aren't doing right by their children.  It might well not be possible with the current trend of public education to not only cater to but actively recruit the lowest common denominator to teach our children.  I suppose it probably isn't possible for a teacher to adequately challenge a child that is far smarter than the teacher. 

5 comments:

  1. My mom(May she rest in peace) actively fought my teachers for years. The teachers wanted me on Ritalin. Mom saw no need. Mom won. Thank God.

    Public School is like the Army. They're not trying to help out the best and brightest, they're trying to get everyone to march in lock step. It's the most you can expect from any .gov program.

    Remember, Einstein flunked arithmetic. His teachers couldn't control him. In Germany, land of "we haff ways to mek you tock."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son is going to be one of those incredibly bright children that must be challenged, and in something they actually see a point to, before he'll do well. I only hope he's going to be brilliant at something I can keep up well enough with.

      My daughter is still too young to be able to really tell, but school is almost designed for intelligent girls to be able to do well, while equally intelligent boys are squashed or medicated--girls are far better able to sit still, be quiet, and do work that seems pointless (we have to be able to do that, or child rearing and caring for a home would drive us mad).

      I want my children to be resistant to being controlled before I turn them loose on the world. I will not have them falling prey to the first creep that promises free money, sex, housing, cars, if they'll just fall in with whatever strings are attached.

      Most of all, I want my children to reach their potential, whatever that may be.

      Delete
    2. I couldn't agree more with a system that would GRADE students from the beginning of their education.

      ie: an A, B OR C student accordingly.

      If students and parents didn't like their child's initial GRADE LEVEL, perhaps they (student and parents) could be motivated to improve their grade...and if they can't, then so be it.

      Delete
    3. They don't grade students by ability, anymore, but by pliability: does the student sit quietly? Follow directions? Are they friendly? Happy? Eager to please? Those kinds are easier to control, and easier to teach.

      Kids are also graded on attractiveness: how cute are they? The cuter the kid, the more likely they are to be able to get any help they might need from the teacher.

      Delete
    4. That explains my grades in school, and who gets promoted at work.

      But I'm not bitter. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to read my Bible and perform a functions check on my guns.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.