Monday, August 13, 2012

Writing's going better than expected.

I've been away from the book I'm currently working on for more than a year and a half.  I got stuck.  Really stuck.  As in, didn't know how to get the plot moving again, stuck. 

I figured out where I was getting stuck (I may be a shooter, and I may appreciate guns, but I know very little about how they work, or about shooting at longer ranges than 100 yds--nor do I know what it's like to be able to clearly see a target at greater than about 50 yards, even with a good scope), and cut it out. 

Once I did that, the story...exploded, for lack of a better word.  I've written about 2,000 words/day for the last five days. 

The world is coming through richer than I'd anticipated--more of it is revealing itself as I'm no longer trying to force things to go the way I wanted them to.  The characters are sitting up and telling me what they want to do.  The world is sitting up and telling me what it wants to do, and what it wants its rules to be. 

It's telling me that the book I'm currently working on is rushing towards its end, and I'll need to go back through and add scenes here and enrich the details there, once the first draft is done (and no, nobody gets to read a first draft that rough--not until I've worked through at least two or three more drafts). 

And then, to finish the tale, it's going to need at least one more novella. Maybe more than that.

It depends on length of the second part of the story whether I think I can publish it as one work, or if I'm going to need to publish it as a work in two or three parts.  I simply don't know yet. 

I strongly suspect I'll have a first, very rough draft done before Monday, if I can get more time to write.  If I'd had more time the last five days, I'd've probably been churning out 3-5,000 words a day, rather than 1,500-2,000 words. 

I haven't felt the need (or the ability) to write like this since I was in college ('98-'04, for the curious), and managed to write three short novels (which desperately need a reworking), and countless short stories. 

Getting it all out feels...good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.