Saturday, August 25, 2012

Random ramblings

I taught the imp how to use the sand sifter that came with a wheelbarrow full of beach toys, earlier in the week.  He spent half an hour sitting quietly on the ground at the bottom of his slide in the sun, sifting the rocks he'd put down the slide out of the dirt.  When he decided it was time to come inside and drink lemonade, he was covered in a fine layer of dirt mixed with sweat, and had mud streaked across his face. 

The pixie has discovered that she can lay down on her belly in the bathtub, and slide around in the water.  It's impossible to get her out before she turns into a prune with goosebumps, now. 

The other night, the kids picked up a new word.  The imp chirped something at me, the pixie babbled something at him, then something to me.  I said,  "okay, whatever you just said."  And then the imp starts chirping "Whatever!"  Then, the pixie started chirping it back to him. 

It's a good thing I'd already decided against sending them to public school.  I don't think most teachers would know what to make of a sarcastic six year old. 

Writing has...stalled.  I forgot how much focus on my students saps my energy and creativity.  I was hoping that I'd be able to keep working on my writing while I kept up with my classes.  Yeah...no.  Not so much.  It's frustrating, to say the least. 

Speaking of teaching...I have a student who's a self-admitted "community organizer"--bragged about their "accomplishments" like they were something to be proud of.  I wouldn't be surprised if that individual was a disciple of ACORN.  Their introduction email pushed most of my political irritant buttons.  I suppose I should just be glad they write standard English. 

This is going to be a long sixteen weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.