Sunday, August 26, 2012

Disposable culture meets complete lack of common sense.

A Canadian woman drowned, recently, not long after she got married.  Stupid twit didn't think about what would happen if she tried to go swimming in a full-length, layered, full-skirted wedding gown for her professional portrait. 

First off, it used to be standard procedure for women to drown if they fell in the water wearing as many layers as they did (and as this particular bride did).  If a woman was saved from drowning, it was usually by a quick thinking man with a knife who cut the laces and pulled her out of her skirts.  That much water-logged fabric is both heavy and impossible to move in.

Second, why in the world would anyone want to destroy a wedding dress at the beginning of a (presumably still) happy marriage?  I can maybe see setting fire to it after an acrimonious divorce, but destroying it as part of the wedding photos?  I'd be willing to bet that she's got more debt in what she racked up to pay for the wedding than she did in her education.  She might have been able to get a bit of that back by selling the dress.

Okay...I get that it was her dress.  I get that.  I really do.  However, I'm betting that that dress probably cost in the four-figure range, and she probably could have sold it for several hundred, at least, or donated it.  Or, she could have saved it for her future daughter's wedding, like people used to do.   However, in today's self-centered, disposable culture, I'd bet it probably didn't occur to her.  Or, if it did, she likely brushed it aside for the consideration of awesome photos.

It would have saved her life if she had. 

You know, when I say "stupid should hurt," I mean it needs to hurt the idiot, not the people grieving for them after they've earned a Darwin right after their wedding.

4 comments:

  1. Hamlet, Prince of Denmark's ummm.... "dramatic" girlfriend. In their defense, the crazy chicks are awesome between the sheets - just addicting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't know about that; I AM a chick (not completely sane, but relatively level-headed). Can't ask my husband either--I'm his only. Guess I'll take your word for it...

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, this is how you KNOW you are sane: you care about what people think. Ophelia, an exploding star, massive heat, minimal substance --she-- does not care what those in her orbit think of her sanity - she is loony, hear her roar!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.