Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Well, shit.

So, on Monday, my son brings home a calendar.  He's got a day colored in.  Twice.  Yellow, then orange over the top.  He'd behaved badly at school.  We forbade him from watching TV. 

Yesterday, he got a green calendar day.  That means he wasn't well behaved, but not badly behaved, either.  We let him watch TV last night.

So, today, the imp comes home, and Daddy's dragging tear-stained boy.  And frowning.  Not only did he not listen, not follow instructions, he flat refused to stop playing when it was time, and had a meltdown over being told that he was going to color his calendar day red.  Red is the worst one, the one where the teacher contacts the parents.

And, apparently, this happened fairly early in the day.  Because the email hit my inbox before I was done teaching (12:18 pm). Basically, her gentle explanation is that he "does not seem to be accustomed to listening to instructions and obeying them. Whether that is a by habit or a choice, I do not know. When instructed to "not talk while the teacher is talking, stay in your seat unless you have permission to be up, put your folder in your desk, stay in your place in line, put your crayons away, not run in class or in the building, etc.," he doesn't seem to hear and understand."

I am...very much not happy.  Not unhappy with the teacher, unhappy with the imp. 

He does listen and obey (for the most part) at home.  Instances of not doing so are quickly corrected.  I do not know how to do so for school, long after the fact.

There will be, at the very least, no TV tonight.  I'm trying to tame my temper down before I decide anything else. 

And, in the meantime, the imp is sitting in the kitchen, at his spot, facing into the cubby between the cabinet on his left, the wall in front, and the fridge on his right. 

I don't know what to do.  I simply don't know what to do.

4 comments:

  1. I feel for you. It's a real heartache when your child has problems at school. Sometimes it is just a matter of the child settling into a new environment. It may solve itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No good answers here. Sorry, but I hope it works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The imp has my stubbornness plus his father's, and a high degree of intelligence. *Not* a good combo for a traditional school setting. I'm just hoping the little twerp will settle in once we have a routine going.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.