Monday, May 7, 2012

Of all the contrived, stupid holidays...

Odysseus has been mildly freaking out for a bit, about Mother's Day coming up.  I know the history, and know that this is supposed to be the day every year that kids and husband demonstrate their appreciation for what Mom does every other day for the year.  Yeah, that's nice--but guilt-gifts kind of turn me off.  I understand why Odysseus is freaking out--my MIL kinda trained him and his dad to come up with really nice gifts (I've come up with a good idea, and I'll post pictures of it the morning after, if I can get a good one)--but I wish I could convince him that I honestly don't care,  don't expect anything, and don't have any idea what I might want.

Except a new fountain pen.  But there's a sharp divide in price between nearly-disposable, and nice pens. 

7 comments:

  1. There ya go Ms. H - nothing says love like a nice fountain pen. I love my Waterman, nothing in the world writes like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EVERY DAY IS A HOLIDAY OF SOME SORTS.....

      http://www.madmanmike.com/us_holidays_dates.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the recommendation, Bill.

      Good point, Guy--but most of those don't require guilt-gifts. The ones that do kind of make me roll my eyes in disgust.

      Delete
  2. I will admit I kind of freaked out about mother's day this year, because the gift I wanted to give my mom, there was no way I could do it without having an e-mail address for her. (She has one but never uses it). It's not that she would make me feel guilty - in fact, she said "You can just bake me a cake or something when you're up here visiting" but dammit, it's IMPORTANT for me. I want to give her something, and I don't want the fact that I'm crazy busy to interfere with that.

    Fortunately, my dad came through with an idea to replace the gift I couldn't get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad things worked out for you, Ricki.

      Delete
    2. The best gift for my Mom is I never forget her--keeps her memory alive.

      Delete
    3. That's the best gift there is. I love my mom, and make sure she knows it. My favorite gift is when the kids are playing quietly and happily, or when they both come snuggle with me without fighting with each other.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.