Sunday, March 18, 2018

Leftovers coming up!

I love corned beef.  Yes, I am fully aware that yesterday was St. Patrick's Day.  Yes, I'm aware we should have had that corned beef brisket I've been saving yesterday. 

However.  Mom insisted that, since we traded our 7 cu. ft. chest freezer for my mother-in-law's 21 cu. ft. upright freezer last weekend, she wanted us up yesterday to do a pot roast and rye flour spice cake with cream cheese frosting.  And when she told me this, she'd already thawed the roast. 

So yesterday was spent eating ourselves sick at my mom's house.  And half a cake came home with us.

And I had a corned beef brisket that's been waiting for a while, so tonight's supper is corned beef, boiled and buttered potatoes, green beans, and likely rolls of some type.  Maybe even some corn on the cob. 

I'm going to have a LOT of leftovers.  It's a 4lb chunk of meat.  When we're done with supper, the rest is going into the fridge so that it's easier to slice thinner than it'll go when it's still hot.  And the slices will go into individual serving sandwich bags in the freezer.  Not much better than a roast sandwich--or rather, a bit of corned beef on a rye flour cracker with melty  cheese of some type.  And spicy brown mustard.  And saurkraut.  Can't forget that (even if I did when we went to Walmart for bigger sneakers for both the kids yesterday). 

Friday, I went to Sam's Club, and cleaned 'em out of quite a bit with the orange sticker--6 lbs of round steak (my kids love my recipe), 4.5 lbs of steak, 2 chuck roasts (8 lb pkg*), and a 4 lb package of stew meat.  Most of that is now in the freezer--but not the stew meat.  Not yet.  I want to cut the chunks smaller. 

After this weekend, there's likely to be a bit of a mark-down on corned beef again.  Yeah, I bet you can guess what's going to be coming home with me to go into the freezer.   Because corned beef is great, and leftover corned beef is almost better.

*8 lbs of chuck roast makes a lot of really good leftovers.  The rest, not so much--the kids won't leave much of the round steak when I make it, and they like steak, too.  But they can't eat enough of the roast to prevent me from freezing a lot of it. 

3 comments:

  1. My mother made a creamed gravy and corned beef mixture we'd eat on toast. I hadn't thought of it in years, until I read your post.

    It was good, but not as good as a corned beef on rye sandwich, with mustard and a kosher pickle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....and sharp cheddar sliced thin.

      Delete
    2. I love corned beef. Period. It's just damn tasty.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.