Friday, March 20, 2009

Innocuous but ominous

The March of Dimes has released a report that the government's "single payer health care" system is going to bolt with.

I'm not ascribing ulterior motives to the March of Dimes. I think that their main reason for releasing the report is to try to get every woman that gets pregnant in the United States to seek prenatal care, and do their damnedest to prevent the preventable causes of preterm birth.

However, releasing a report about the costs involved is going to lead us into the same inhumane cost-cutting as British hospitals routinely use: refusing to save preemies. I can't find the news story now, but about two years ago, I read that some hospitals in Britain's socialized medicine system were refusing to try to save babies born earlier than 27 weeks, because it was too expensive.

With the current administration's support for late term abortions (i.e., after the point the baby has a chance of surviving outside the mother's body--in other words, infanticide), and noted lack of support for legislation requiring medical care for infants who survive their attempted murders, I doubt it will be long before American hospitals are directed to do the same with babies whose mothers are covered by "single payer health care."

This may just be me, but that's one bill I don't mind my tax money going for.

I do have a dog in this hunt, remember. My son, a healthy and happy five month old baby, was born eight weeks premature. I took the prenatal vitamins, didn't smoke, drink, do drugs, or do anything that would risk preterm birth. He was born early anyway, and none of the doctors had any idea why.

In other words, not all preterm birth is preventable. However, I wouldn't put it past the current administration to refuse treatment just because some cases are preventable, and all cases are expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.