Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Weird mindsets and parallels

 I have done five years of research into ADHD, what's going on, symptoms, trends in common, and common flaws in thinking, mostly so I can help my son learn to mitigate the debilitating side.  I've discussed the whole issue with executive function, but there are a couple of things that I've seen evidence of in a more widespread trend:

Magical thinking.  

When you've got kids, you can catch them marking on furniture with a Sharpie--catch them with the Sharpie in their hand, uncapped, still making marks.  A lot of kids will deny, even in the face of that, that they did it.  

They're not necessarily lying.  What they're doing is engaging in magical thinking: "I did it, I regret doing it, but if I believe I didn't do it hard enough, I didn't, and it wasn't done."  

Most kids outgrow that after the first or second time they face harsher consequences for denying reality than they'd have faced for having drawn on the furniture with a permanent marker in the first place.  

ADHD kids take longer.  Because their emotions drive them, and drive their reality--surely it should drive real reality, right?  

ADHD kids can be trained out of that.  It takes longer, but it's a pattern that can be changed.  So long as they are forced to confront that they cannot reject reality and substitute their own version.  

What we're looking at, worldwide, is a bunch of toddlers holding Sharpies claiming that they didn't draw all over the white couch, the carpet, the walls, and the dog.  And they've been left so long without being forced to confront real reality instead of what they believe with all their hearts that it should be that I don't have the first fucking clue how to fix the problem. 

2 comments:

  1. Interesting take on it, and no good answers here... sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of parents over generations did not do their jobs properly.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.