Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Two doctors

I have an endocrinologist, and a general practitioner I see routinely.  And I am about ready to drop the damn GP.  

This week has been...yeah.  Monday, I had to go to the lab for blood work.  I went in around 3-ish because the endocrinologist wants blood work done right before I take my thyroid meds (and that would put me around three hours off my schedule did I go in first thing in the morning).  And...there were different phlebotomists in the lab, not the usual one.  Three pokes, and no blood.  They missed badly enough that I just had the needle marks without any bruising.  

Because I was freezing.  More on that in a little bit.  

So I went back yesterday, after having tripled my liquid intake (one cup of coffee instead of three, three 30 oz mugs of water instead of my normal two before that time, and a 20 oz bottle of Gatorade to keep my electrolytes from crashing), pulled out my flannel lined jeans (yeah, they're too big--but they're the smallest size sold in the men's department at Walmart), a warm shirt, and a pair of yoga gloves.  Kept my coat around my shoulders.  Was still chilled (give it a minute), but they got me.  Phlebotomist on duty got a good vein in my elbow--third one that managed that little trick in the past fifteen years--and they the blood pulled for both my endo's requested tests and my GP's.  Who I'm scheduled to see next week (remember that bit--it comes into play later).  

I got a call first thing this morning from the endocrinologist's office, telling me that my TSH was high, and T4 was low.  Duh...freezing, remember?  I can't get and stay warm.  There are other symptoms, but I'd already known I was low.  I actually mentioned the increase in low thyroid symptoms at my appointment in October.   

I'm not surprised, either--I'm taking things that interfere with the thyroid meds, and can't stop taking them.  I'm taking Quercetin/Bromelin intermittently to support my immune system (natural antihistamine) and get it to stop freakin' attacking me.  And that interferes.  So does Aleve.  So does the celery seed extract I take to support the Aleve (acts as a mild diuretic and reduces inflammation a little in the joints because it's a diuretic).  

There was a strident tone to the nurse speaking with me...which says it's probably a little worse than they want to admit.  Which means that yeah, they probably should have bumped me up in October, when I complained.  

Thyroid hormones out of whack also contribute to extra inflammation and joint pain...and bump up cholesterol.  

Which...leads to my annoyance with my other doctor.  

I got a call from the GP's office a little bit ago.  I've said before (more than once) that I will not take statins.  Will not.  The cost/benefit analysis with my issues and family history indicate that statins are a really fucking bad idea.  They cause fatigue and joint pain--both of which I'm already suffering from, and don't need made worse.  They also cause cognitive decline in a certain segment of the population.  Three out of three of my relatives who were prescribed and stayed on the statins developed early onset dementia.  And worsening mobility.  And...

Just.  No.  

Beyond that.  There are certain reasons my cholesterol might be high.  First of all, I'm still losing weight.  Second, I have high inflammation in my joints, which drives up cholesterol by itself--cholesterol is one of the means by which the body tries to repair itself.  Third, my thyroid levels are low, which drive it up.  

The GP's office--with whom I have an appointment next week, mind you--called about half an hour ago, pushing statins again.  I will explain, again, why I will not take statins. But I will not explain it a fourth time. 

I like the NP the kids see better than I like the twit that took over for my other doctor.  She listens

6 comments:

  1. I feel for you. The doctor that should be on top of your health probably only glances at your charts a few minutes before they meet with you...if they happen to manage to fit you in. Mine is the same, and makes me miss the old doctor I had that retired. The new doctor has now shuffled me to a nurse practitioner that I've only met during a teleconference, and forgot to schedule a future appointment for my bloodwork. I should call to schedule, but at this time, I'm wondering if it's in the best interest of my health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My poor endo was trying to slow stress induced weight loss, I think. She's incredibly overworked (I think she's one of six within a two hour radius, with a huge population of patients), but talks to me (actually and with cite-able sources for her points, and doesn't assume I won't understand because I'm not a doctor), remembers what's going on from one time to the next, and has been doing her absolute best.

      The GP, on the other hand...yeah, she isn't...that conscientious of a doctor to start with, and has all the personable-ness of a wet dishrag.

      Delete
  2. Sigh... the never ending battle between doctors and prescriptions... You MUST take care to not get contra-indicated meds, especially in your situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I research and cross-reference *everything.*

      Delete
    2. That is the only way to stay safe! Good for you!!!

      Delete
    3. I really wish more people understood this, instead of blindly trusting.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.