Monday, June 17, 2013

So what?

I just saw an assessment that the teen unemployment rate is nearly a quarter of the teen population that wants to work in the first place.

So what?

I understand that a summer job is supposed to teach responsibility, accountability, and beginning budgeting.

However. 

I just can't get too worked up over teenagers unable to find jobs.  I don't see many teens responsible for themselves, much less for household income.  I don't see many teens willing to do the things I remember as being teenage summer jobs (dragging a lawnmower and weed eater around a neighborhood; babysitting; pet sitting; or farm chores like feeding the animals, helping with milking, helping with hay baling, or things like that).  Delivering pizzas is now reserved for those over eighteen that own their own car and have their own--not their parents'--insurance.  The work is heavy, low-paying, not "fun," and their hands are so busy that they can't play with their phones. 

Personally, I see about half a dozen teenagers on a regular basis.  They either live next door, or spend so much time there that they might as well. 

I would not hire any of them based on the behavior I see.  I wouldn't trust them to take care of my dog, much less my child.  I wouldn't trust them to stop and toss a toy out of the way of a lawnmower.  They're flighty, stupid, and completely unwilling to deal with the consequences of their actions. 

When my son hits about twelve, I'm going to provide him with a decent push mower, a gas-powered weed eater, a gallon can for gas, one for the gas/oil mix needed for the weed eater, and a wagon.  Then, I'm going to teach him how to build a client base, and how to figure gross and net income.

When my daughter hits twelve, given her proclivities, I'll start teaching her how to babysit.  And I'll help her find a daycare that could use help when she hits about sixteen. 

I'll probably teach her how to knit about the same time, and help her figure out what she can make and sell.  And I'll teach her the same small business things I teach the imp.

My kids won't ever complain that they can't find work. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm old school. There were no options. You cut grass, painted houses, had a paper route....something.

    I'm not saying it was a better life, but it beats hell out of being an ignorant shit and as self-sufficient as an Alzheimer's patient with a bad leg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. There are a few of us like that still around.

      I never had a summer job because I refused for my income to go to support my mother, who was on welfare and food stamps. And I was told, explicitly, that if I got a job, the welfare and food stamps would be reduced by the amount I made, and that I would have to make up the difference.

      Fuck that. If my mother couldn't be arsed to support me, I refused to support her.

      Flash forward eighteen years--she's on Social Security and Medicaid, and my taxes go to support her anyway. Go figure.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.