Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Ironies: the spice of life.

There were, for a change, a couple of news stories I ran across that had me snickering from the irony.

First up: green shopping (i.e., bringing your own bags) is good for the environment, but bad for the shopper. Apparently, no one thinks to wash their bags, and they get full of bacteria that make people sick.

I guess those plastic Wal-Mart bags aren't so evil, after all, huh? If hippies feel guilty about just throwing them away, they could always use them for other things: they make great packing padding for glassware, or great small trashcan liners.

Or, if the hippies are still too down on disposable bags, they can always just get sick. No skin of my nose, and they have been warned, now.

Second: Minnesota is running out of money for their unemployment offices. Guess who's being let go? Here's a hint: it's not the admin staff. No, they're letting the job counselors go.

I guess it's time for the counselors to counsel themselves.

3 comments:

  1. I admit I use some old canvas bags I got from Whole Foods. They are enormously stronger than plastic or paper bags. I can stuff them full of cans without worry of splitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cloth bags are green and efficient, as long as the 'baggers' know what they are doing---these bags do hold more, so as long as the heavy stuff gets on the bottom of the bag and not the eggs!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.