Monday, December 20, 2021

Interesting.

Back before I had Home Ec, when I still played with Barbie dolls a bit...my mom had this nifty set of patterns for Barbie clothes.  And a lot of worn-out kids' clothes.  And a sewing machine.  And not a lot of money.  So, she made doll clothes for my sister and me.  She used all sorts of fabrics...except for old tee shirts.  I asked why, once, and she showed me.  

Her sewing machine did not play nicely with jersey knit.  Not even a little.  Where it didn't stretch the material, it puckered.  The only stitch that kinda worked a bit was the zig-zag.  

Want to hazard a guess what a lot of the material I have on hand is?  Yup.  Old tee shirts.  The other fabric I have a lot of is worn-out jeans, or the legs from cut-off jeans.  

I already knew that my sewing machine works really well and without complaint with denim.  Multiple layers thereof, even.  I wasn't so sure how it would do with tee-shirt material, since it lacks a zigzag stich, and I lack a zigzag attachment.  

On a whim, I pulled down a few old tee shirts out of my stash.  And I tested out how badly the machine would stretch and/or pucker the tee-shirt material.  

The answer was: not at all.  I had no problems with it whatsoever.  I've got so many old tee shirts in so many pretty colors... and a lot of boring colors, too. 

(And maybe I can get the pixie to stop using socks as Barbie mattresses if I make her some from old tee shirts.  Practicing.)

That has reduced the new meditation form's financial burden considerably.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.