Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Occupidiots and the "I want a pony! Make somebody give me a pony!" mentality

I've held off posting anything about the Occupy Whatever movement, because so many other bloggers have done so much, and said pretty much everything that needs said. Lagniappe's Lair, in particular, talked about the whole "If this is our future, we're fucked" generation.

A few years ago, I wrote a series of philosophical posts, each post focusing on one of the seven deadly sins. Every story about these occupidiots brings to mind four in particular: pride (knowing what's best for every individual better than the individuals in question), sloth (how else do you explain how worthless these kids are?), greed, and envy (class warfare is nothing but).

Basically, the whole movement is based on the idea that we know better than you do what's wrong with this country (pride), it's not us because we're not working (sloth--both on their part and their parent's part in raising their lazy asses), we want money for existing (greed), and if you don't give us the money you've earned in your businesses, we're going to destroy your businesses (envy).

As I said in my post on personal responsibility referring to the beginning of the sub-prime mortgage market collapse, the children involved in protesting are demanding "somebody" give them what they want, instead of going out and working for it.

I'm honestly getting tired of it. I work my ass off for about $10G per year. I pay cash for what I need, and budget for what I want--we don't have food stamps (or SNAP, or whatever they call it now), WIC, welfare (except for the earned income tax credit--which I consider nothing more than a refund of the social security taxes that won't get paid back when I retire), or Medicaid. Between the amount of grading, questions via email and discussion board, taking care of children, and trying to keep house besides (and boy, do I fail on that front), I have not the time, energy, nor sense of entitlement required to sit on my ass and demand that someone else give me money.

Yes, a pony (or a .22 lr upper for my STI 1911, and an unlimited and free supply of both .22 and .45) would be nice, but it's a want, not a need. I'm enough of a grown-up to know the difference, and be able to live with the disappointment.

7 comments:

  1. A-effing-men.

    While I'm perhaps materially better-off (in terms of what I earn), I also work my ass off and am frankly too tired to think about protesting. And it makes me REALLY tired to think of my tax dollars possibly going to support these loons.

    I don't need a pony, but I'd sure appreciate a bit more free time.

    I also fail on the keeping-house front, and I don't even have kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps the best moment of my life was October 1999 when I 'retired from working' at age 59.

    Working for someone else simply sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ricki: uh-huh. So nice to see our tax dollars at work. I'm really beginning to think that everyone who doesn't have parents dragging them to the occupy whatever protests kind of deserve whatever they get. Kids that don't have a choice and are there anyway need better parents.

    OCM: yes, it does. I hate the contract I'm working under, and I dislike most of my on-campus colleagues. I do, however, love the work I'm doing, and will probably keep doing it even if the series of stories and the novels I'm working on get published and make me a ton of money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Question: Can you "home school"
    other children besides your own?

    Would a GROUP 'home school'
    situation be feasible?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, there is a home school cooperative in Joplin, where the parents support each other, and get the kids used to playing with other kids. I don't know about teaching any kids besides my own (not sure I have the patience), and by Missouri law, ten or more children requires state licensing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The latest thing that bugs me? The OWS crowd is gettin' free flu shots.

    I paid $25 for mine.

    I know, I know, we don't want another 1918-like pandemic, but still: these kids need some skin in the game so they can learn that stuff just won't be handed to them if they sit around long enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're already dealing with a TB outbreak in the squatters camps--I don't want them spreading a deadly strain of flu. I'd rather give them free flu shots in the effort to protect those of us who are actually useful.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.