This is a family favorite. I strongly recommend using an 8" cast iron skillet to cook this in, or a cast iron drop biscuit pan. Spray the skillet/pan with cooking spray, and preheat it with the oven before you pour in the batter, and the cornbread flash cooks on the edges, and falls right out when you turn it upside down after it's done. No need to clean up the pan.
1/2 lb bulk maple flavored sausage
1 sweet yellow corn bread mix (I use Morrison's)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees or as directed on the cornbread mix. Don't forget to spray your cast iron skillet and put it in the oven when you turn the oven on.
2. Fry the sausage, breaking up chunks as you cook it (helpful tip: fry the whole pound, and freeze half for later).
3. Mix the cornbread batter according to the directions (helpful tip: measure the milk in a two to four cup liquid measuring cup with a pour spout, beat in egg, then stir the mix right into the measuring cup. That way, you only have two things to wash: the fork or spoon and the measuring cup).
4. Stir in 1/2 lb of cooked maple flavored sausage.
5. Pour into preheated cast iron skillet. Bake as directed on the mix.
6. Serve hot, buttered, with maple syrup.
No, this likely isn't good for you, but it's easy, tastes good, and heats up well the next day or two.
1 hour ago