Tuesday, January 10, 2023

I...am taking a *break.*

So.  Last weekend, I took a deep breath and figured out exactly what I needed to do to get the finished book up.  And then I did it.  It wasn't exactly intuitive, but it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be.  

It's done, now, and that's a load off.  And yes, it's moving.  Thanks to an absolutely awesome lady. Sarah Hoyt.  Go read her stuff, if you haven't yet.  

So, yesterday, I did get some revising done.  Not a huge amount, since I was working on that and a whole lot of other stuff, but I managed.  I got a few chapters revised in my science fiction project*--like half of the first part.  I got more done today, but ran up against some mathing that needs to be done before I can continue.  

Can I just mention I hate math?  I'm not bad at your standard, everybody-uses-it-every-day type stuff (budgeting, figuring unit costs, balancing bank accounts, messing about with resizing recipes, etc).  I am NOT good at anything more complex than that.  Orbital mechanics?  Right out.  But I can handwave that away.  

I don't know, yet, about figuring out transmission lag from set distances...or what those distances might be, in the first place.  

So that's set aside until the kids go to bed tonight and I get a chance to do some research.  

I got some writing done on a new short story for my current, working collection.  Around 1200 words on it, with a solid idea of where it might go.  

And...I found the music that Molly the assassin likes.  Got 2K words written in about an hour and a half...and had to stop because I had to go get the kids from school (and because my hands were killing me).  

My hands are still killing me.   

*The Schrodinger Paradox--still strongly considering publishing in parts, Kindle only, then putting out a hardback...

6 comments:

  1. Transmission lag? Like in radio waves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. Somewhere out close to Mars's orbital path.

      Delete
    2. Guess the distance & do the math for how long it would take light to go that distance.
      (I looked it up, 3.2 sec delay Earth to Mars at it's closest.)

      Delete
    3. I think I've got it figured out. I'm basing the numbers on how long it takes the data from the Mars rovers to re-transmit back to Earth.

      Delete
  2. Yay for more writing! And Rob beat me to it. Minimum delay would be 3.2 sec with 0 latency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, more writing. Mars Rover site said it took 3 *minutes*, minimum, up to 21 minutes, to get data from the orbiting transmitter relay to Earth...depending on where in its orbit Mars was from where we are in Earth's.

      I'm glad I caught it when I was revising, though...there are some things that shouldn't be handwaved away.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.