Friday, June 3, 2022

Long day, yesterday

 Most of the day yesterday was spent driving or waiting.  Y'know, you don't realize exactly how tiring that is until after the fact: I probably shouldn't do anything more than putting away groceries, today, if I want to not risk an autoimmune attack.

So, yesterday, my absolutely wonderful other half took the kids with him when he left for work to leave them with my spectacularly awesome mother-in-law for the day.  And she really is spectacularly awesome: she's said she'll help me with dealing with Mom's issue however she can.  And I really, really appreciate that, and will be trying to limit it to things I know she enjoys (and watching the grandkids is definitely something she enjoys), and not ask too often.

I left the house around 9:30.  Got to my mom's around 10:30. Spent a couple hours chivvying her around (making her eat, reminding her of what she was doing when she forgot--which I do a lot, too), and reminding her that we were leaving around noonish (we left before 12:30, which was my goal.  Got to her bone density scan appointment with time to spare--and a good thing, too: the oncologist's office had sent over the wrong code on the orders, and that had to be corrected.  

I had an appointment up on the fourth floor of the same building.  I had to leave for mine while she was waiting for hers.  Mine was a standard, fifteen minute endocrinologist's appointment--at which she cut levothyroxine, but left the liothyronine alone, and had a bit of a horror attack when she found out why my sodium levels were stable and almost threshold: I've been adding 220mg of sodium (via electrolyte water enhancer) to every 30 oz mug of water.  She took both of my hands and told me, very calmly and seriously, to never, ever go on a low sodium diet because it could kill me.  

My mom's hypersensitive to sodium the other way--a little bit and she swells up like a toad and has a blood pressure spike.  Seems like ANY dietary sodium is bad for her, while I can't seem to get enough, even with a standard American high sodium diet.    

When I made it back down to the first floor, I found Mom waiting on a bench near the lab I get blood work done in.   She'd been done with her delayed bone scan for about half an hour, at that point, and she was ready to go home.  

We left the building around ten 'til three, I got her home at four-ish, and got home after my other half and the kids.  

Thank God I'd planned ahead for supper: I had some of my bastardized fusion of stir fry and fajitas in the freezer and pulled that out for our supper, while the kids had sandwiches.  

I'm looking forward to having nothing today other than picking up the groceries in a little bit, and wrangling kids. 


2 comments:

  1. You got through the appointments and got reasonable news. That is a win!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom's got another appointment on the 23rd of this month. We'll hear test results then, I hope.

      And I'll be visiting the vampires in the second week of July. Hopefully, my levothyroxine dose is closer to correct.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.