Thursday, May 30, 2013

Interesting experience.

So, yesterday at the range, I had the opportunity to try out a Keltec P-32.  It was kinda cute.  I have tiny hands, and I could hide it completely in between them.  My pinkie hung off the bottom of the grips.  Teeny-tiny little gun. 

Since it is so small, the sight radius is very short.  It's not hard to pick up the front sight, but it is hard to hit anything at conversational distances, especially with the very long, if light, DAO trigger.  I'd say this gun would really shine at talk-dirty-to-me distances. 

The P-32 could be argued that it shoots an anemic round; however, with as small and light as the gun was, and with how much plastic* is in the gun, I wouldn't want to shoot a heavier round through it.

Also, the version I got to play with was prone to failures-to-feed.  It felt in my hands like the gun just needed a good clean-and-lube--I could feel the rounds sticking on the feed ramp.

Overall, though, I can definitely see the utility of the little things.  


*Yes, I know, it's technically polymer, and yes, I know it's been tested to make sure that it will function reliably and without blowing up in the user's hands.  But it sure feels too fragile to be a gun.

6 comments:

  1. There could be some small machine marks on the feed ramp. Usually a good cleaning and lube will cure the problem. I took both of my 1911's down and polished the feed ramps. That and a good dose of Frog Lube* and they run like champs.

    * I'm a dealer. Check out Frog Lube on line. It's the stuff that the SEALS use and we know what kind of conditions they work in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I ever see that guy again, I'll tell him. Our range is open to the public, and free. We get an interesting mix of people there, but they're almost all friendly, and we all tend to hand our stuff over for other people to try out. I've gotten to shoot an interesting mix of other people's guns.

      Delete
  2. HH, didn't I see a photo of you on here a while back with a 1911? how do you manage the release with those small hands?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're talking about the slide release, I use my non-dominant hand. Just like I do on almost all of my guns. I think I have one gun where I can reach the slide release with my right thumb--my Walther p22.

      Delete
  3. Put a laser sight on that critter - yeah I know they work both ways - and you don't have to worry about sight radius. But if something goes bump in the night that little red dot can still be seen even by someone with poor eyesight - especially if you happen to knock your glasses on the floor..................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been considering it with my 1911. My carry gun doesn't have rails to attach accessories (CZ-82), my .22 isn't worth doing that with, the 1903 Colt is too valuable, and both of the other normal carry pieces belong to Odysseus.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.