Monday, September 10, 2012

So much for fair play...

I blog as Heroditus Huxley because I'm afraid that, if I were to blog under my real name, I'd lose my job.  Not one of my colleagues agrees with my political opinions, and not one of them is the "agree to disagree" type.  They even use the threat of bad grades to coerce their students into either changing their opinions or keeping their mouths shut. 

My university isn't unique in this.  And my university is far from the worst: the university where I got my Master's degree was a lot worse.

I'm young enough that I wasn't even a gleam in my mother's eye when the takeover began.  I've never even considered the way it used to be, other than the quality and quantity of knowledge I've missed out on.  This article by Vic Rubenfeld gave me a lot of food for thought.

Is there any way possible to take back our education system from within the system the left hijacked?  I don't know, but I strongly doubt it.  Not with the tenure system in place.  And I don't see tenure being abolished any time soon.  They need it too much, both because there's no other way they'd be able to brainwash and train most of a generation to be good Democrat voters, and because there's little chance that liberal professors could actually survive outside the hot-house environment of academia. 

8 comments:

  1. I met my first wife at Western Washington University in Bellingham, Washington. She was one row down, face all aglow, as the prick anthropology prof declared what a wonderful life she'd lead if only she held to her progressive stance. He further told this class of clowns to be patient as it took the Fabian Society years to bring about change in Great Britain. This was 1972. You're correct. The die is set and there is no reversing the system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do my best to at least slow it down--my 101 class writes a paper on spin, one evaluating an advertisement (and how people sell products and ideas), and one evaluating an argument.

      You'd not believe how many of my students start thinking about spin and about possible motives in their class lectures, after these papers.

      Delete
  2. is Holly Chism a pen name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just trying to point out the fact Professor that Holly Chism and Anti soma appear together on a google search. An article by " a girl with a gun" mentions it and is listed prominently. If your trying to stay incognito, it isn't working. It doesn't take a detective.

      Delete
    2. Yes, but if you don't search the blog's name with my real name, it doesn't show up. I've checked. And my university would have to know the name of my blog to come up with this one.

      Delete
  3. More Links, A Book & A Weer'd Dream - A Girl and Her Gun
    www.agirlandhergun.org/2012/.../more-links-a-book-a-weerd-dream...
    Jul 31, 2012 – The book is called Survivors and it is written by the Holly Chism of The Anti-Soma blog. It is a compilation of short stories on people who have ...



    whatever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...is there a reason you're being so aggressively obnoxious?

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.