Sunday, September 30, 2012

Bitterness.

I still carry a lot of bitterness from when I was growing up.  A lot of my psychological problems are directly attributable to one parent or the other, either through commission or omission.

My mother, once she got full, physical custody (the state kept the legal fiction that it had custody) and my male genetic donor had slipped up to the point that all he had left were supervised visits, retreated into her bedroom and locked the door, not coming out except to eat or use the bathroom. 

I was thirteen.  My sister was ten.  She didn't reappear for two years, when my sister attempted to kill herself by taking an entire box of Benedryl. 

I'd had issues my first year of high school: namely, I'd been in the middle of a failed relationship between my best friend and his girlfriend.  I'd gotten so bad where my nerves were concerned that I lost about thirty or forty pounds (and I only weighed about 115 to begin with). 

No Mom. 

My second year of high school, I busted up my knee in PE.  Oh, the incident wasn't so bad, but I'd been tripping and falling for years, and the damage had accumulated to the point where I needed surgery.  Mom shuttled me around, and was there for the surgery itself, but the only reason she was around for my recovery was because it was during Christmas time, and it would have looked bad to the rest of the family.

Well, that, and my sister had just gotten home from her hospitalization after she'd tried to kill herself just before Thanksgiving. 

Yeah, I still resent the two year disappearance.  I resented when she disappeared, but I adapted, took responsibility (as best I could) for making sure the house kept running.  When she reappeared, she stepped back into the parental role she'd relinquished.

That did not work.  I'd spent two years as an adult.  I was not going to step back into the role of a child, especially not at fifteen, and absolutely not with an adult who'd proved that she wasn't trustworthy, nor worthy of respect.

I've mostly moved past that bitterness.  It was eighteen years ago, for me.  Every so often, something happens to remind me of it, but I refuse to dwell on it.  Like my friend, the Mojave Rat says, I try my damnedest to live in the now, and to not live in that awful time in my life with the rage and bitterness.

My mother, on the other hand, still dwells on every bad decision she ever made.  Especially the decision to marry my male genetic donor, and have two children with him.  And she can't go an hour without mentioning it, or how sorry she is that it happened.

Thing is, by doing that, she's standing in my sister's path to recovery, and not letting her move past her problems.  She's forcibly keeping my sister in the time when we were harmed. 

By doing that, she's keeping her youngest child as a helpless child, despite the fact that it was more than twenty years ago that the abuse happened, and my sister is now thirty. 

My mother's behavior eighteen years ago isn't worthy of any continuing bitterness.  Her behavior today most certainly is.

14 comments:

  1. You don't get to pick your family.

    That sucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but if your friends are the family you choose, I've got some awesome extra family to make up for the craptastic part.

      Delete
    2. For instance, MSgt B is that drunk uncle no one wants at Thanksgiving... Oh, wait. Did I say that out loud? ;)

      Delete
    3. Hey, I always preferred spending time with my drunk uncles than the rest of my family--more fun, less self-righteous, and more honest.

      Delete
  2. The legacy that a dis functional family leaves can be a bitter one or it can be an empowering one. No fault at all...my brother could not overcome the cruelty that was our childhood and he ended his life. I use the insanity that was my childhood as motivation to contribute positively in the lives of children. Especially those who have been let down by those who should have cared for them.

    I am sorry for your pain. I am very blessed to see that you are fighting continually to do better, to be happy. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine really kind of left me with anti-social personality disorder...I wear a mask well, but often simply don't comprehend moral/social rules. I live by rules I created for myself. It works for me, but my family has themselves fooled into thinking I'm a genuinely kind person (I'm not), and are floored by hints of the real me they see sometimes.

      Delete
    2. If, because of the rules you created for yourself, you try to be kind, in spite of your natural inclination, then you are genuinely kind. And, If I may be so bold, you are responding to Grace. If anything, your sheer refusal to let your past dictate your future is making you genuinely kind.

      I realize you may not care one way or the other what I think. I won't take it personally if you don't. But, as someone once told me, love (and by extension, kindness) is not a feeling. It is an action we perform. Mother Theresa was clinically depressed, yet she radiated joy to all she met. And she was genuine, because the joy she radiated was the joy in seeing Jesus in the poor.

      Make sense?

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Are you laughing at TinCan Assassin telling the world that you're the drunk uncle nobody wants at family gatherings, or at my response to it?

      Or are you giggling about the fact that I admitted that I'm a sociopath? 'Cause I can always go get my cricket bat, if so. ;P

      Delete
    2. I learn from you; I didn't even know that cricket HAD bats, they must be very tiny. And I'll bet that their catcher's mitts and little shoes must be simply adorable!

      Delete
    3. British Cricket bats are larger in diameter than American baseball bats, and are triangular. And are often featured covered in broken glass in my FFOT posts. :)

      Delete
  4. This is so terribly sad; I am sorry you've had to live with so many scars. There is nothing that wounds deeper or harder than the wounds of the heart. I started to read your book and order it but although the writing is truly superb ( and I don't toss out compliments like that undeservedly) some of the emotions and sentiments were almost too much. ( This is a very hard time in life right now, my beloved is in a hospital being slowly weaned off a vent, and the world is nothing outside of her.) I have faced guns, knives and generally pissed off people, betrayals, you name it - but the physical hurts are nothing compared to the others. I wish you well; may you find in life the joy and peace that have been denied you in your earlier years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks. I'll keep your beloved in my prayers, and I have found my happiness in my other half and our children. I cannot imagine what you're going through.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.