Thursday, May 17, 2012

My delicate little naughty pixie

Last Labor Day, the pixie wound up with a case of nursemaid's elbow (blogged here).  It's caused by sudden, sharp tugs on the hands and lower arms of a child younger than five--basically, a mild, partial dislocation of the elbow.  That time, it was sort of my fault.

Today, it wasn't.  She was fine when I put her down for an afternoon nap, she was fine.  Ten minutes later, she was screaming in pain.  I suspect, she stood up in her crib, started playing, lost her balance, and tried to catch herself on the rail. 

We ran her in to the doctor's office, the doctor confirmed my guess, put it back, then showed me how to put it back.  Good thing, too--twice within about eight months isn't a good track record.

Still hate that it happened.  I hate it when either of my kids hurt.

4 comments:

  1. Bless her. I hate when any child is in pain. It kills my soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's fine, now--she was fine as soon as the doctor got her elbow snapped back into place. Thanks for your kind thoughts, and I worry for your Little Bit: she needs her beloved grandparents.

      Delete
  2. We had that with our youngest daughter. Dr showed us what to do. Next time it happened I felt like Superman. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the doc showed us how to fix it: if it happens after office hours, I'm glad we don't have to take her to the urgent care clinic again, or to the ER. Our doc's office knows us, knows and loves the kids, and don't investigate us for abusing the kids. They know we don't--the urgent care or ER doesn't know us, and suspects and investigates everybody (rightly, in a lot of cases).

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.