Sunday, April 14, 2013

Do you have a plan?

I'm going to have to go back to campus, next semester.  I cannot teach the drek they've forced on everyone teaching the online classes.  The course is worse than worthless as designed.  The students get very little practice actually writing. 

That said, I've asked for a classroom tucked away on the top floor of the library, near a stairwell and an elevator that is not the main one, and has been kind of hidden by remodels and rearrangements.  The entrance is kind of behind the stacks, and on the other end of the floor from the open study areas.  Easy to miss by a deranged nut. 

And I have a plan for an active shooter on campus situation: if we can tell which way he's coming from, I'll shoo my kids out of the building by the exit farthest from where the shooter is (there's one on both sides of the building).  If we can't...I'll shoo them into the corner across the room from the door, on the same wall as the door, lock the door, turn off the lights and hope we're missed. 

If that doesn't work, I'll have a couple of my bigger students backing me up, try to take the gun, and incapacitate the shooter in any way possible. 

Once that's done (shooter's unconscious or dead), I'll do my best to field strip the gun and leave it in pieces for the police.

I also have plans for a two-shooter situation, but I haven't heard of one of those outside of Columbine.

Beyond that, I have plans in place for protecting my students from tornado, fire, bomb attack, and a few other disaster scenarios. 

How about you? 

6 comments:

  1. Nope, my students are own their own...I told 'em to pack a handgun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, yeah, but are your students forcibly disarmed by law?

      Delete
  2. I sure do have a plan. I have a separate plan, in fact, for each classroom I teach in, depending on whether or not it has the attached bunker-like prep room. Part of that plan involves making sure I am as safe as possible, too - sorry, these are adult kids and I'm not eager to be "that teacher" who gets lauded as a martyr for protecting them. (One saving grace: my building is some distance from main campus so unless a shooter specifically targeted my department, we'd have more time to either bug out or figure some kind of defense. No, no guns permitted on campus, other than in the hands of the campus cops....)

    We've had a few "incidents" but so far they have only involved people using fists as weapons, which is actually pretty easy to take down if you have someone around who knows any kind of martial art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The room I asked for (and got) has a blind corner as someone is coming in the door. Minimal risk.

      Delete
    2. Curious......

      I am quite sure that there are some students who can't write a grocery list!

      Not all students are computer literate.

      This must be a problem at times??

      Delete
    3. It's not just computer literacy they have problems with. They have problems with reading, understanding, and following clear instructions--and the instructions in my current course are...not clear.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.