Sunday, January 13, 2013

Got an email...and an early drop.

I had an email from a former student waiting in my university email this morning:
I liked your class in Eng 101 and thought this would be like your other class but it's not so I'm dropping this one. It's too complicated for me. I'll look at another college. Do you teach somewhere else?
I had suspected I'd see this from a few who I'd taught.  There are half a dozen assignments the first week, including forcing them to figure out and set up personalization in the course website--which doesn't work, and is a lot more complicated and useless to a writing class.

I'm tempted to forward this to the idiot in charge of distance learning, but they didn't listen when it was faculty complaining.

I'm strongly considering forwarding all questions sent to me regarding class material to the idiot that designed the course, and all questions about how to do Blackboard stuff to the help desk.  I will also be strongly suggesting to students that they drop the course if they at all can.

They're not going to listen unless they're hit in the pocketbook: lost tuition from students dropping the class and getting the refund because they fucked the class over and the students don't want to take the reaming.  

2 comments:

  1. You know that whole "Customer Service" BS you had to go through? Introduce them to their customer. That sweet, sweet, federal student loan money is now going somewhere else. And may I suggest applying at University of Phoenix, which is an online school?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been sending the students' questions that I can't answer (since most of them are technical) to Blackboard Help. I figure I can annoy them doing that as much as they have me by fucking my students over.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.