Saturday, July 21, 2012

Random ramblings

The imp scraped the skin off the bottom of his big toe, just past where it joins his foot, yesterday.  He's been walking on his heel, holding his toes up off the floor, a lot.  The poor little guy usually runs full-speed, everywhere, and couldn't without crying yesterday.  He seems to be a lot better, today, though.

We went to visit my mother on Thursday, and I left Mom alone with the imp for a few minutes.  While I was gone, he apparently chattered at her non-stop until she tuned him out.  Then he told her he needed to go pee-pee.  She didn't hear the request because she'd tuned him out, and he had an accident.  I didn't count it, because it wasn't his fault. 

The pixie is starting to put three word phrases together.  She's getting easier to understand, too, but she's so high-pitched that my mother (who's hard of hearing) can't always hear/understand her.  She's been trying the temper tantrums, but we don't let either of the kids get away with that.  She usually stops when asked if she needs a spank. 

I wish the imp was that good about it.  He keeps going.

I've finished and published Survivors.  The link is over on the right, up at the top.  I know Bill said he bought it--thanks, Bill, and I hope it doesn't give you nightmares.  Amazon has some sample chapters, if you're curious.  Just click on the link, then click on the book cover for a look inside. 

Most of the stories were written while I was in college, many while I was dealing with memories of bad times I'd repressed.  Some are experimental in form.  Others deal with the human experience in general.  Some are hopeful, but many are not.  It isn't light reading.  I actually debated with myself about whether or not to publish it.

As for the second book I'm working on--sort of a cross between an anthology of short stories and a novel--well, I'm working on it.  It's about two-thirds of the way done.  This one has some pretty comic stuff in it.  The general premise of the book was sparked by a really weird dream I had during Thanksgiving Break last year: Odin and Zeus were sitting in a tavern that only the old gods could find, drinking and arguing about who was the better king of the gods.  From that odd, funny little dream has sprung the whole concept: the Greek and Norse gods in the modern world, trying to stave off Ragnarok. 

After that...well, I have a rough idea for another book set in the same world, a book with a different take on the old Arthur legends (starts out asking "What if Pendragon was more than just a name?" and goes from there) about a quarter of the way written, a very rough draft of a third idea (urban fantasy where the main character is half elf, raised in a series of human foster homes, and is both running from and trying to learn about her father's side of the family) and a general outline of another idea.  So, I have a lot on the back burner--enough to account for the next four summers. 

I have until the third week of August before classes start.   I've got that long to finish the rough draft of the book I'm working on.  Tentative title?  The Godshead

2 comments:

  1. Booyah!

    Bought a copy of your book, and even downloaded Kindle software to read it.

    Keep'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MSgt B. Give me a review, if you're so inclined.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.