Monday, September 1, 2008

Sad, isn't it?

Don't look now, pacifists and isolationists, but Russia's listening to you.

Friday, while I was on campus, I overheard some faculty and a few students discussing the situation over in Georgia. I heard them say that the United States provoked the whole thing by offering Georgia help in updating their army's training and equipment, and that it was likely that there were more arms smuggled in in the shipments of humanitarian aid.

I've also heard discussions centered around the idea that we, in specific, and the Western European nations in general, shouldn't be supporting Georgia against Russia in this instance, since the breakaway regions clearly wanted nothing to do with the Georgian government.

This morning, I found a story that Russia's claiming that we smuggled arms in with the humanitarian aid. And another, warning the West away from supporting Georgia. I've seen storeis for several days where Russia announced that they planned to absorb Georgia's breakaway regions, since they were Russian nationals that wanted to be part of Russia, not Georgia.

I sincerely doubt that there were KGB--er, FSB--agents on the small, midwestern campus that I work at, but I suspect that my campus isn't the only place such speculation is going on.

The old Soviet Union called US citizens who worked with and made excuses for the communist regime "useful idiots." It's pretty obvious that Putin and his puppets are still willing to use them. I wonder if they've come up with a new term, or if they still call American communist sympathizers that.

Useful idiots, indeed. I wonder how they explain their nice, militaristic, Marxist friends preventing Georgians from returning to their homes, but claiming that they're not doing anything to prevent Georgians from returning. Or Russian bombers flying patrols near Alaska, and in Northern Europe.

1 comment:

  1. This really shows how the blind are leading the blind, NO!! The groups of people who thought the Cold War was over are having their eyes opened, I hope. If not lord love the ignorant fools. It amazes me how so many people still believe the U.S.A are doing nothing but evil around the world, while supplying food and humanitarian area to a threatened ally of ours. If we do not help them how long before the Russians are at our doors knocking not to come peacefully but to take over.
    Remember we are only 300 miles away from them in Alaska.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.