Sunday, March 25, 2012

On the nature of faith...

I do not believe God exists, nor do I believe He cares about us, nor yet that He sent His only Son to die to cleanse our sins so that we may go back to Him when we die.

I don't believe any of that.  I know it.  I know it to the depths of the damaged soul I have. 

And my soul is very damaged.  I am not a good person.  I am not a civilized person.  I do not understand the "rules," not on an instinctive level like most understand them.  I have to think about a situation, think about the rules, and think about how and why the rule works in the situation in question.  I never quite understand why other people act the way they do, not in moral or "Good Samaritan" situations, where someone is helping or protecting a complete and total stranger, or their belongings. 

I fully understand the morals and motivations behind the criminals that prey on others.  I share them, in large part. 

Let me explain: I do not look at people who I do not know and love as brothers and sisters in Christ.  I can't.  I've tried.  I tend to judge them by how I think they'll react in certain situations.  I'm glad to be off campus because most of my colleagues are sheep--they're kind, for the most part, but think that evil doesn't exist, think that sociopaths can be reformed, and think that no matter what crime was committed, once jail time is served, the person should be released with no restrictions (except for that nasty one about gun ownership--and they tend to think that everyone should be restricted, there.  It works so well in Chicago, and in Washington, D.C.).  In a campus shooting, they'd either huddle down and hope the shooter doesn't go looking for victims, or they'd be running around like headless chickens and getting in the way of first responders, during and after the emergency. 

They're weak.  Prey, even.  I tend to sympathize more with the predator--I'm a high-functioning sociopath (meaning I at least understand what I don't understand, and can follow rules when they make sense intellectually), and a lot of predators aren't.  They don't understand anything but strength and weakness

Many of my friends are the same.  I like many of them, but look at most and consider how much punishment they could take before ceasing to function as self-propelled sandbags.  They're prey.  Not predators.  Not even sheepdogs. 

This is not a Christian world view.  I remember being different when I was very small--before the family courts handed my sister and me to our abuser, gift wrapped and tied with red tape.  I wasn't born damaged, but broken young.  God did not make me this way.  I don't blame Him for my shortcomings.

Sometimes, though, I can't help but blame Him for letting it happen.

Most people who've been abused lose their belief in God and His love.  I certainly understand why they do.  I lost my belief.  Like I said earlier, I know He's there.  I never would have survived my childhood without Him holding me in the palm of His hand.

The Bible speaks of faith, and how holding your faith in the face of trials is difficult, at best.  It speaks of that faith as being the foundation of the grace of forgiveness.  It speaks of how you're no less forgiven if you can't quite hang onto that faith, but without faith, you tend to turn away from that forgiveness. 

Sometimes, I'm not sure that the knowledge that He's there and cares is good enough.  But I keep trying--not to be a good person, because that I can't do, but to follow His rules.

3 comments:

  1. And yet, you reached out to me in my time of need. Before Odysseus did. Hypothesis as to why:
    A) It's in the rules, and after consideration, you helped someone,
    2. I'm on that list of people you like, and would therefore help,
    III} You have within you, a (albeit damaged) loving soul, and with divine grace responded instinctually to a Christian brother in need.

    I think there is hope and healing for you, too.
    From one not good person to another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OTOH, maybe I'm as sociopathic as you are, just undiagnosed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is in the rules--my rules for myself, as much as God's rules for me--and I do like you very much. I used to have a very loving soul, according to my mother, but I'm just as likely to walk past someone as I am to try to cheer them up or help them...at least, in real life, and with strangers.

    I think I've healed as much as I'm going to. It's been fifteen years since I've seen my abuser, and about seventeen since the last bad court ordered counselor exacerbated the damage. I've since been able to occasionally go back to church--almost as different from what I grew up in (my abuser was also my pastor and the donor to half my genetics) as I can get, and still be Christian--and flashbacks are becoming far less frequent and disruptive. I'm still a sociopath that has to take a bit longer to actually think about how I'm supposed to react to a given situation/person...and I still very often get it wrong. I still don't have a conscience, and I don't know if any of that is ever going to change, or if it's just scar tissue that I'll have to live with, and hope I can teach my children better than I learned.

    As for being a bit of an undiagnosed sociopath...well, I can't say, because I only know you through your blogging, but for what it's worth, you don't seem to be.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.