Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Differences

My kids hate Sesame Street. It has become stupid, though I don't know when.  There's no more counting, no more letters, no more grown-ups guiding the kids--the grown-ups are friends, not authority figures. 

And my kids don't like it. 

Odysseus found that Amazon Prime streams classic Sesame Street.  Season 1, even.  Gordon has a 'fro, and mutton chops attached to a mustache. 

I pulled it up this morning, and the theme song came on--the song remains the same, even if nothing else does--and the imp whines "Can we please watch something else?  This is stupid."

I got him to give it a chance, and he's now entranced.  It's a lot better, a lot more advanced, than the Sesame Street he's used to.  I'm hoping it helps him like it did me when I was little.  Although, I will freely admit that this particular episode (season 1, episode 1) is way before my time.  I watched in the early '80s. 

One difference that I'm already seeing, that the kids like better, is that Gordon is leading a little girl around, teaching her.  And he's acting as an authority figure, not as a friend.  That grants a security to children that the newer episodes totally lack. 

4 comments:

  1. If it works, it's all good! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new Sesame Street really sucks. It's crap at best, and propaganda at worst.

      Delete
  2. The older Sesame Street did more for early childhood education than HeadStart ever could. And it was already in a format that children liked... TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they did. And then the creators fucked it up.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.