Monday, December 10, 2012

We cannot afford this.

I just finished reading a couple articles that clearly identifies how badly hosed we are.  The first one clearly states that the federal government borrows almost half of what it spends: 46 cents out of every dollar are borrowed.  The second article illuminates a good portion of why.   I've bolded the really scary parts.
For fiscal year 2011, CRS identified roughly 80 overlapping federal means-tested welfare programs that together represented the single largest budget item in 2011—more than the nation spends on Social Security, Medicare, or national defense. The total amount spent on these federal programs, when taken together with approximately $280 billion in state contributions, amounted to roughly $1 trillion. Nearly 95 percent of these costs come from four categories of spending: medical assistance, cash assistance, food assistance, and social/housing assistance. Under the President’s FY13 budget proposal, means-tested spending would increase an additional 30 percent over the next four years.
The chart attached to the article that quoted the senator's office had worse news...total welfare spending is about $168 per day per household, as compared to earnings of $137 per day in a median income home.  Broken down further, that's
$30.60 per hour, 40 hours per week, to each household living below poverty. The median household hourly wage is $25.03. After accounting for federal taxes, the median hourly wage drops to between $21.50 and $23.45, depending on a household’s deductions and filing status. State and local taxes further reduce the median household’s hourly earnings. By contrast, welfare benefits are not taxed. 
Odysseus makes a hair above minimum wage, bringing home about $700/month for part time work.  I make a bit under $900/month.   That divides up to about $53 per day.  After taxes. 

I am angry beyond words.  I resent, badly resent, my tax money being taken for bums and niggers of all colors who refuse to work.  I resent, badly resent, my tax money being taken to pay baby factories to keep spreading their legs for all comers. 

And I strongly resent that the money I work hard for to shelter, feed, and clothe my children is being taken from me at gunpoint and given to someone else, someone who isn't working, because it's their "fair share."

Um, no.  If you don't work, your fair share is $0.  Your fair share is starvation. 

$1 trillion dollars cut from the budget is a start.  I've seen figures that 0bamacare is going to cost somewhere upwards of $8 trillion to implement in year one.  It goes up after that. 

We are more than $16 trillion in the hole.  We need to cut the bums off. 

Before people start whinging about how heartless I am, let me remind you, I am not talking about cutting people of of Social Security, or VA Benefits.  Those people have earned what they are getting, many the hard way.   I am not talking about those who are physically unable to work through damaging their backs, or through conditions like cerebral palsy or fibromyalgia or cancer.  I am not talking about people with serious psychiatric conditions like schizophrenia, or multiple personality disorder, or untreated bipolar disorder.

I am talking about the young men who refuse to get a job that's "beneath" their dignity.  I am talking about the young women who have baby after baby after baby, with no man anywhere in the picture, just so that she can get more benefits.  I am talking about those who apply for, and get, disability when the only disability present is a disability to make anything other than bad choices ("I'm too fat to stand up," or "I have PTSD from repetitive abusive relationships," or the like). 

And I think that, if the government would cut such spending, they'd find that most of the people they were so concerned about can make it just fine, when there's no other choice.  And as for the rest?  They'd find that we, the people, are a lot more generous helping people out when they really need it, and when we have the choice.

5 comments:

  1. Excellent post!

    My biggest concern is the children of today.......what is their future??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS

      I'M GOING TO LINK TO THIS ARTICLE ON MY BLOG.......

      Delete
    2. My children have a future of indentured servitude, at best. Go ahead and link it. This is something the whole country needs to know.

      Delete
  2. Heck, DW has Fibromyalgia and Bipolar and she's getting back to work. If she can do it...

    As for dignity, that's earned too, right along with that minimum wage paycheck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people are stronger mentally and emotionally than others. I've seen some people lead normal lives with bipolar disorder and fibromyalgia, and I've seen others completely flattened by them. I shouldn't fault people for being weak, so I try not to. Lazy is a different matter altogether. Being legitimately ill with something you didn't cause (liver problems in an alcoholic don't count, for example) isn't being lazy, and I try not to count an inability to get back up against a person.

      I am glad for your wife that she was able to get back up.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.