Friday, July 31, 2015

New laptop up and running.

The new laptop is simply another Acer Aspire, ordered through Amazon.  It's a lot thinner and lighter than my old one (which is a bit under five years old, and purchased to replace a netbook whose wireless card was going).  It's a much better built machine out of the box than the older Aspire was.  The way the keyboard's made, I'm less likely to end up with crumbs under the keys, blocking utility.  It's a gorgeous, dark red that will be impossible to confuse with Odysseus's computer. 

One of the wonderful things about working for a university is the availability of Microsoft Office for faculty download and use onto home machines.  I had Office 2010 on the old laptop, and I've got 2013 (Office 365) on the new one, thanks to my university.  Simple, easy, and more programs than I really need.*

I do like the new version of Word.  Makes navigation through a multi-part document really stupid simple--just click on the header on the left, and it takes you to the chapter you left off writing on. 

My documents and stuff just got dumped into the machine's My Documents.  All of my music, my pictures (baby pics, wedding pics, etc.), the videos of the kids we've taken...all of it.  All jumbled together, but I think it's all there.  It's gonna take some organizing, but I'll have the rest of the evening tonight, and tomorrow to get that done.

Guess I best get started, then. 

*All I really use is Word, OneNote, and Excell (at the end of semester, when I'm downloading the gradebooks from the course site).

5 comments:

  1. What version of Windows is it running?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Windows 7. Really nothing new to get used to. I probably paid a bit more for a machine that still had Windows 7 loaded, but I think it's worth it.

      Delete
  2. Win 7 IS the way to go... Win 10 isn't a 'winner'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't planning on "upgrading" until and unless it proved to be better than Win 7. For my mom, it cannot do worse than Win 8.1 on her HP machine.

      Delete
  3. I love that new laptop feeling! But it is a pain trying to get everything into place and organised. I like starting fresh with a clean hard drive instead of the mess on my current PC. I hate making sure I'm not missing any files and checking apps are installing correctly. Hope it went well!

    Raymond @ CKS Global Solutions LTD

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.