Friday, January 10, 2014

GRRR!!!!

I am going to fucking kill our fucking distance/internet enhanced learning platform wonks.  We were notified that they were upgrading over break.  Okay, fine.  Go the fuck to it.  Maybe it'll stabilize the fucking thing a bit.

No, the upgrade isn't the problem.  Last semester, I had a large number of my students ask me to add a chapter on how to do in the course site what they needed to do in the course site, and asked for screen capture illustrations. 

Fair enough.  And easy enough to do.  It took me about three hours yesterday to get that done, mostly because the platform was being so fucking slow it makes a game buffering look like lightning.  Took me ten minutes to work it into the textbook, and another half an hour to post it into one of my two class sites.

Then, this morning, I got an email, telling us that the fucking idiots running the platform didn't fucking notice that the fucking piece of shit didn't upgrade in its appearance within each individual course, and oops, sorry, but we've got it fixed now.

Now.  After I'd done a dozen screen caps of what it looked like before.  And yes, I'm going to have to go back in and re-do every screen capture of what things are supposed to look like every step of the way.  Why? 

Because the fucking fuckers at the fucking internet class platform offices can't fucking get off their fucking huge fucking egos, much less their even larger fucking asses, and do their fucking job right the first fucking time. 

8 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for you! I am SO glad I left that behind though. Good luck. I hate BB and Moodle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All classes are BB "Enhanced" now.

      And all in all, it works for me better than the alternative--apparently, there's not enough room in the copy budget for my CPS, schedule of due dates, and my text book. Even though that's all the printing there will be all semester. And disregarding that I have a colleague who sends that much to the print shop every week, hundreds of pages copied out of books that he has, but doesn't want to assign to his classes to buy because filling out book orders is too much of a pain (he's tenured).

      Delete
    2. Indeed. My department head was AWESOME! Everyone else not so much.

      Delete
    3. Both of the ones that I've worked with have been spectacularly good bosses. The problems I tend to have lay with my tenured coworkers and the administration.

      Delete
  2. Maybe this was the same crew that rolled out Obama's health care sign up web page?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the platform is, for the most part, sound. It's the local implementation that gets FUBARed.

      Delete
  3. Your experience is sadly common. Convincing people that they need to test for success after a rollout is like pulling teeth. Glad you caught it before it was too late for your students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still want to drop-kick the idiots in charge of our distance learning program, platform, classes, and all, into orbit.

      Although, with most of them, that might be semi-disastrous, because of their likely ability to change the effect of the moon's gravity on oceanic tides, through having sufficient mass of their own to create noticeable gravity.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.