Sunday, February 19, 2023

Learn something all the time...

I have always hated beans.  Pintos, in particular.  

When I was growing up, my grandma made beans all the time.  Pinto beans, in water.  She added nothing but salt.  

I always HATED beans.  But I loved the days when she'd make beans.  Because she always made cornbread (and set out orange marmalade), and sides could include fried ham (sliced thick), pickled beets (home canned), mock apple rings (pickled cucumber rings, but done with apple cider vinegar, cinnamon, brown sugar, and a few other things you'd find in pie), and a lot of other things.  

Grandma's beans were...gross.  I'd choke them down first, then fill up on sides.

So I thought I hated beans.  Turned out, I hated how Grandma made beans.  

I don't make beans like that.  Ever.  Because they're absolutely nasty, plain.  So, I've started experimenting.  And thus far, I have discovered that they're decent when you add the right things: cumin, garlic, and onions, for a start. And salt.  Enough salt is an absolute must (I add it after a half an hour under pressure). Chili powder's pretty good in them, too, when the whim strikes.  And...a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar when the second cooking cycle's done in the instant pot.  Right before serving (or added to the beans before you dump them in the blender for refried beans to add to tacos).   

The instant pot just beeped.  Time to go add the vinegar to the beans before we turn them into tacos.  

(And I'll be making soft tacos for the other half to take for lunch for the week.)

6 comments:

  1. How do you do the beans in an Instapot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine's an off brand, but the name brand one shouldn't be too different. I sort and wash the beans, then dump them into the pot, and add onion powder, garlic powder, and cumin, then I add water. I close it and set the seal to build pressure, then select the beans/lentils setting, and hit the button until it sets a 30 minute timer. Then I walk away until it goes off.

      I let the pressure off, then I add salt, and stir, and maybe some more water, if it needs more water, then set for another 30 minutes. When it goes off after the second round, it's done.

      I think the name brand one will go up to 60 minutes--mine assumes you've soaked your beans, and won't go past 30 minutes.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for explaining it & the extras! Much appreciated.

      Delete
    3. You're welcome. I absolutely love my off-brand instant pot--it's one of the best gifts I've ever received.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I can see how it would; the ones I made last night were just destined to become part of the tacos I was planning to fix. I tasted them on a whim, and found them edible.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.