Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Think I need a new doctor...

I've spoken with my doctor, as of this morning, requesting a refill on my thyroid meds, perhaps at a higher dosage so I can actually function, and so my dosage doesn't need to be adjusted upward so sharply after my thyroid is removed (and, hopefully, so I can heal up a touch faster, since that is also dependent upon metabolism). 

She said my blood tests indicate my TSH is "normal" and she doesn't want to up my dosage until after I stabilize after surgery.

Yeah...no. 

I've seen my numbers.  Sure, they're in the "normal" range.  The TSH is high normal.  When I got her to order the full panel, the TSH was high normal, and the T3/T4 was low normal.  So, I'm on the scale, but my body's not happy with the hormone levels, and is demanding more. 

Fuck that. 

I want a doctor that is willing to put me in the optimal range--right in the middle. 

I want to feel human again, damn it.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, boy....they're going to remove it?

    Hadn't heard that.....

    My wife's levels are "normal normal" now that she's been on the meds a while, and she feels MUCH better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. It is interfering with me swallowing, breathing, etc, due to how big it has swelled up (also known as a goiter), and I have a family history (male genetic donor and one of his brothers had cancer; grandmother on that side had massive goiter) that indicates that it will be removed sooner or later.

      I am glad to hear your wife feels so much better! That is so great!

      Delete
  2. My issue was mine was low...read quit working...and the doctor put me on a dose that blood work said was normal. I said great, but I don't feel normal yet, so let's snudge the dose up a smidge more. He agreed, and I felt a hell of a lot better with the extra 25 mcg. Told him I understood what signs/symptoms were for over-active thyroid and promised to call him if any occurred. That was 23 years ago and it worked. Just get yourself another medical practitioner the main qualifications should be they are licensed, and listens to their patients (you). Cause technically, they are working for you...it's just the insurance that is paying the bill.
    Good Luck!!

    Suz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pay the current doc in cash. She doesn't take any form of insurance.

      Delete
  3. DO what you need to do, it's YOUR health. Hope you get it straightened out sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, and me, too!

      You'd be surprised, though, how many people are not willing to stand up for themselves when it's against their doctor...

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.