Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Adjusting...

So, Monday of last week, classes started on campus.  I taught my two, then headed downstairs for my office hours.  Two of them.  Ending at 1:00 p.m.

I'd had two cups of coffee, some caffeinated medication, no breakfast (I'm almost always queasy until about ten or so), and lunch was two hours late.  I was so shaky that I could barely function for the rest of the day.  Same thing with Wednesday, but Friday I had some granola bars that I shoved into my laptop bag/purse. 

One thing I've not been able to accomplish is my daily housework on the days I teach.  I'm on my feet constantly--pacing while I lecture, writing stuff up on the board, wandering around and helping students during group work--for two hours straight, and then starving by the time I get the pixie down for her nap (Odysseus is wonderful: he puts the imp down despite demands for "Mama do it!").  Not to mention coming down off the teaching high.

Which has led me to realize that I'm going to have to adapt a lot more than I thought I would.  Basically, I've started doing my routine stuff either the day before or the day after I usually do it.  Like laundry.  That I tend to do on Saturdays and Wednesdays.

I did laundry today.  Cleaned the kitchen (which was today's work), and vacuumed the imp's room (one of yesterday's chores). 

It's really eaten up my time--especially blog writing and reading time.  And energy.  Especially since I have to go talk to the twits working the desks at the library (where I teach and hold office hours) to figure out how to get my computer online, since they reconfigured the wireless access since the first day.

At least I'm getting fiction written.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, my house is a pit most of the time. And I don't even have kids or a second career as a writer.

    I've mostly made my peace with it. I know some of the people I know would judge me very harshly if they saw the current state of my refrigerator, but meh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it were just Odysseus and me, I wouldn't be as worried about it, but we've got an imp and pixie who go everywhere at full speed, without watching where they put their feet.

      And my fridge is my lowest priority. Finding things when they're needed, or keeping the kids from hurting themselves, or keeping from breaking toys/tearing children's books by stepping on them, or keeping the kids clean and fed and dressed appropriately rank much higher in my book. And I'm good with that, too.

      Delete
  2. HUH, funny how that goes. The older I've become the harder it is to sqeeze all I wish to do into a day. SIGH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. Either time is speeding up, or I'm slowing down.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.