Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Grading papers again

Freshman comp 1 just turned in paper 3.  I got 12 out of about 17, but the university just switched email providers, and the new one isn't working well for the students.  I'll probably accept late papers this time, because of that, so long as they're turned in before Thursday or Friday.

At first glance, it looks like about half the class didn't read the chapter.  They were supposed to have found a persuasive piece, summarized it, and analyzed how well the author/presenter used ethos, pathos, and logos to make it persuasive.

Several have written a persuasive piece of their own.  Damn it.

I know it wasn't really my textbook chapter that caused the confusion--the other half of the class wrote very good analyses (again, at first glance).  So, all I can figure is that the ones that didn't write the summary/analysis piece just didn't read the damn chapter.

4 comments:

  1. What is it with universities changing up e-mail providers and such in the middle of a semester? I've been there myself and it's really frustrating.

    We also weathered a week with no connectivity a few years back...someone doing construction on campus cut an important fiber optic line and it took quite a while to replace it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Admin and tech types have no idea (nor do they care) how much their "improvements" make life harder for professors and students.

      Delete
  2. Well, I know D'Artangnan used the point of a sword to be persuasive...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't tempt me, man. They've seriously pissed me off this time.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.