Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Thank God I married my best friend.

I recently heard a song on the radio, one that came out a little over ten years ago, one that I'd tried to forget. Not because it was a bad song, but because it's a great one that has a terrible subject matter.

I remember being the kid in the song. I remember being one of the children in the middle of the divorce, the rope in the custody tug-o-war. My dad (abusive asshole that he was), didn't want us, didn't know what to do with us, and didn't want anything more than to hurt Mom...won the initial battle.

I lost count of all the promises broken by every adult around me. It's why I try not to promise anything to my children. I don't want to be the one that destroys the innocence that expects promises to be kept.

Thank God my kids won't ever have to go through their parents making empty promises as they split up.

Sorry about the bitter sadness in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.