Wednesday, April 14, 2021

A wee tad bit different...

 I've posted my egg muffin recipe here, before--the base one that's easy to modify.  I've found one my husband likes, in playing with the basic recipe.  


French Toast Egg Frittata*

1 dozen eggs

1/2 c heavy cream

1/2 lb bulk maple sausage

1/2 tsp vanilla

1/3 c (or so) cinnamon-sugar (ours uses about a tbsp of cinnamon for about 2 cups of sugar)

1 to 1.5 c shredded cheese (milder blend works well here)

1. Grease a 9" or 10" cast iron skillet (a very solid spray of cooking spray, or grease it with lard or Crisco, all the way up the sides.  Butter might work, but I haven't tried it), and put it in the oven.   2. Preheat oven to 350 with the skillet.  Yes, I mean that.  It's why I said use cast iron.  Trust me.  3. Brown and break up maple sausage.  4. Beat heavy cream into eggs, and mix in vanilla and cinnamon-sugar.  5.  Fold in cheese, and browned sausage.  6.  AFTER skillet is preheated with the oven, take it out carefully, and pour the mixture in quickly.  You'll hear it sizzle when it hits the puddle of melted grease in the bottom--this is a good thing.  7. Bake 45 minutes, or until golden brown and set.  I know ovens vary, so it may not be as long, or it may be longer.  8.  When your frittata is done, take it out of the oven and flip the skillet upside down over a plate.  The fritatta should fall right out.**

 I will warn you now: it's absolute torture, smelling this cook.  It's utterly delicious with a little bit of syrup.  My other half likes butter-flavored syrup best.  

*I use a skillet to make this, rather than muffin pans.  I should probably pull out my cast iron muffin pans, instead.  

**THIS is why I recommended the cast iron.  With anything else, these things stick.  Even to non-stick. 


2 comments:

  1. Sounds good, definitely different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's delicious. It would be fairly simple to switch out the sugar for stevia or Splenda, I'd think, and keep it low-carb. Would probably also work with about 3/4 cup or more of bacon bits, instead of the sausage, too.

      Delete

Sorry, folks. A hundred plus spam comments in an hour equals moderation on older posts, so until further notice...you're gonna have to wait for your comments to be approved before they show up.